• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Managed to snag a full auto SUB-MG today.

Guest LLArms

Guest LLArms

It's looking a little... Airsoft. What does it shoot? What's up with the can? Is it cosmetic, or functional?

I guess I'm not good at jokes. Thats the punch-line - its an airsoft rifle.

I set her up a shooter gallery this weekend in the backyard and bought this for her as a surprise. (Its rechargeable battery operated so she can shoot it easy).  She has a pink daisy lever action and a co2 powered 1911, but the pump on the lever and the trigger on the 1911 are still a bit more for her.

That is kind of cool. Ummm about how much does it cost to enter that area before the customizing? I am also wondering about the noise and method fo propelant, is it compressed gas or what. Of course I have never played and have seen some with what looks like a very large bottle on them.

There are two types of propellent; gas and piston. Gas can be CO2, propane or compressed air. Piston systems come in a manual (single shot) or electric (multi-shot).

CO2 is pretty self explanatory. You pop in a a CO2 cartridge and you get a number of shot out of it. The propane is usually a mix of propane and oil. The percentage of propane increases the pressure. Some are known to run pure propane from a BBQ bottle. The compressed air (like a SCUBA tank) requires a large volume tank with a regulator. It is the most reliable, but also requires a shit ton of parts, and is very heavy. Almost no one chooses this option.

Manual single fire guns, also called "springers", are usually the cheapest entry into airsoft. There are a few variations that are more expensive. A spring works a piston system that projects the BB. Much like a pump BB gun. The electric guns are the most common. You install a Lithium battery (LiPo, LiMn, LiFe, LiIon) and a gear and piston system allow you to shoot full auto.

All of the guns are upgradeable from gears, pistons, cylinders, springs, barrels, motors, and batteries and on and on and on. A gas magazine usually holds 15-40 rounds. A springer is about the same. Electric gun magazines hold from 30 to 5,000 rounds... You can see why so popular.

Ammo is a 6mm BB. They make up to 8mm, but only for very specific guns, which are usually not very popular. The 6mm BB comes in varying weight from .12 grams to as heavy as .5+ grams. The different weights are based on the composite of the BB. Almost all quality guns are measures by shooting the .20g BB. The heavier BB's are used for shooting longer distance, but their velocity drops considerably.

Gas guns are a little louder than the others. They are no more louder than a standard BB gun. There are ways to suppress the sound even more. I have a carbon fiber silencer, with a foam insert, that really takes the sharp crack out of the BB coming out of the barrel.

A quality airsoft gun is equal to any other quality arisoft gun. M4 vs AK vs HK... It's doesn't matter because they can all be the same rifle on the inside. The appearance is strictly cosmetic. Take the body off and they are near the same, and they all shoot the same exact ammo.

A starting electric rifle will begin at about $200. Then buy a battery and charger for another $75. BB's are about $15 for 5,000 rounds.

That's just a basic idea of what airsoft is. There is a LOT of info out there. Airsoft is a smoothbore shooting system. Most guns now provide a "hop-up" system. The Hop-up is a rubber nub located at the 12 o'clock inside the barrel, that provides a backspin on the BB. This helps accuracy and increases distance.

Just to give an idea on my favorite airsoft rifle. I spent $350 on the rifle, then dropped about $600 on additional "cosmetic" parts. I upgraded the motor to spin at a higher RPM, which gave me a faster rate of fire. I bought several batteries and upgraded the electrical system inside the gun to hasten the trigger response of the rifle. The red dot on my rifle wasn't added to the total cost, because it is a real Aimpoint CompM2. My rifle shoots 25 bb's per second at 400 fps, with a maximum distance of about 200'. It's damned accurate to boot.

I have seen guns that shoot over 40 BB's per second. I have also seen guns that shoot well over 700 feet per second. Airsoft guns can injure and be very dangerous in the wrong hands.