• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

opinons on the FN 5.7x28

washguy

Hi Guys  I was looking around for another handgun and came across the FN five seven. I dunno what it would be good for?...but the lil bullet screams...so Im seeing them for bout 1200 bucks on the net...go just now to my gunshop they have a new one for 1245...but they have one on consignment with the case ,three 20 rd mags,and its just about brand new for 800...deal or no deal?  :)  Wash

that's a deal price wise. those are screamers. i think robocop may have first hand info on these. i know many people like them for their ballistics.

I think its a deal too...the gun is brand freakin new...owner only had it a week....ammo is kinda costly so what else is new? <laughs>  from what I read looks like Char would like it cause of low recoil...my handgun collection is mostly wheelguns...so this one might be nice....puttin out batsignal for Robo :)  Wash

Gun plus three mags... All for $800... That's not a deal, that's a steal. You better go to church after buying that.

The gun is fun, and if I needed a tactical pistol, with a shyte ton of ammo capacity, and weight was detrimental, this would be the gun for me. The history of this pistol was to give combat pilots something they could carry in a cockpit that had very limited space, and weight restrictions... I personally know a CHP officer that carries this as his off duty handgun. He keeps a 20 round mag in the gun, and two extended mags on his belt... THAT'S 80 FREAKIN ROUNDS OF HIGH VELOCITY TERROR!!!! Not to mention, the popularity of the gun has brought about very affordable ammo.

Here in the easy bay area of California, a would-be-burglar entered the home of the proud owner of a FN Five Seven. The home owner woke to the sounds of a home intruder. Upon meeting the intruder in the hallway the homeowner instantly became in fear for the safety and lives of him and his loved ones.... One round to the neck... The itty-bitty 28gr hollow point flew out the end of that barrel at over 2,000 feet per second. The extreme close distance didn't give the bullet time to expand as it entered the suspects neck... HOWEVER, as soon as it struck the vertebra, the bullet exploded on the impact. The resulting damage from the explosion ripped flesh from shattered bone. The coroners report advised that death was instantaneous. Only a few bits of tissue prevented a complete decapitation.

Is that the story you were looking for? <thumbsup>

"Is that the story you were looking for? "

Thanks Robo....went to the gunshop tonite since its on consignment I made an offer...we will see...but ill prolly pay the asking price anyway....the trigger is really crisp and kinda different...the clerk sez its a striker type trigger?  dunno what that is but I like it! :)

Wash

"My only gripe is the size of the grip. It's pretty thick, and can be issue for some."  Char tried it out yesterday with no problemo...now on the hunt for ammo at a decent price ...seems like the lil 27gr

is the round for home defense verses the 4o gr...dadgum ill get both    :)  Wash

Hi Guys  brought the lil guy home tonite...we tested it out before buying...geez if the bullet misses the badguy...the flames wont <laughs> Robo you're right on...no kick,easy to use,and fun! cant wait to go to the outdoor range tomorrow <thumbsup> Wash

IMG_0336.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/washguy/IMG_0338.jpg

Hi Guys  Well. we went to the range and broke in the five seven...dadgum this is a fine lil piece...shot a 100 rds of the 27 gr and not one glitch....we shot it last nite at the gunshop and had 3 fte's ..owner put in a full clip and dumped it with no failures...he said even though it was used it was still new as the owner never shot it ....so I come home take it apart and it was bone dry everywhere. I treated it like a new ar and lubed her up...bingo!  Char was getting comfortable with it and thats a good thing! We shot two one gallon plastic water jugs at bout 20 yds and they just exploded....we like it <thumbsup>  Wash

Excellent!  You will love that pistol, I know mine is one of my favorites!  :)

Hi Madhouse !  this five seven is a hoot to shoot..what are your opinons on the various rounds?

I just got another shipment of ammo which brings me up to 500 of the ss195 and 500 of the ss197.You ever shot the leo ss198? And what bout elite ammo..ive ordered some of theirs but they are 4 to 6 weeks out.

Char is going to take lessons with it next week...she's good with it, but I might be missing something on teaching her. So tell me bout the ins and outs of this five seven ...what do you think of the mag safety mod?  :)  Wash

Hey Wash, this is one of my favorite rounds.  I have the Five-seveN pistol, the PS-90 bull-pup, and a 10" AR upper that takes the 5.7x28mm round (http://www.57center.com).  I've shot about every kind of ammo made in 5.7 -- 190, 192, 194, 195, 197.  I have over 7K rounds of this ammo on hand.  Of all of them, the one I choose to shoot most is the 40 gr. SS197SR.

I had my Five-seveN barrel extended and threaded by Tornado Technology and wanted some sub-sonic 5.7 rounds to shoot suppressed, so I ordered some Quie-TOR rounds from elite ammo.  I shot a few and couldn't figure out why the holes on the target looked so big, and when I checked it the rounds were keyholing at 10 yards.  I took the suppressor off and shot a couple more rounds and again they were keyholing.  I wrapped the rest up and sent them back to elite, and about a freaking year later I got a refund on the unused rounds.  I cannot in good conscience recommend that you buy elite ammo.

I haven't done the mod, don't need to  in my opinion, but I wouldn't be scared of it if you think you want to.

Tell me this isn't the easiest pistol you've ever field stripped, I dare ya.  If there is something that tears down easier or quicker, I have yet to see it.  :D

Hi Madhouse !

"Tell me this isn't the easiest pistol you've ever field stripped, I dare ya.  If there is something that tears down easier or quicker, I have yet to see it."

No joking...ive only got one semi..the rest wheelguns...so I come home from buying it.. pulled out and read the manual...decided to fieldstrip it...pushed the latch and the gun is now in two pieces..."like what just happened?" im thinkin noway its fieldstripped...yes it was!    thanks for the info! :)  Wash

Hiya Guys    Well, we just got home from char having her first pistol lesson from a pro lady instructor using the five seven...Char can smack steel at 500 yds with her 6.8 or 308 but she hasnt fired but maybe 20/30 rounds from a handgun...so tonite she fired 70 rounds in her hour lesson... target at 21 ft....the five seven is now HER weapon of choice  <laughs>.. they worked on stance and grip and gun safety of course  Wash

IMG_0369.jpg

Following this thread 5.7 looks like alot of fun.Hows the cost of ammo compared to 9mm? <dontknow>

Hi Unforgiven  5.7 ammo is more costly...mostly bout

22 bucks per 50  ctd just gottem in at 19.50.....thing bout this gun is that its so light in recoil, and then theres boom factor with the awesome muzzle flash that you wanna treat it like a 22...and shoot and shoot and shoot  <laughs>  I swear a water pistol weighs more than this five seven does <thumbsup> Wash

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys    since we were going to shoot the new 308 indoors Char wanted more practice with the five seven....she's getting better and still figuring out her  grip...all in good time...if the bullet dont hit the badguy the flame will! <thumbsup>  Wash