• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

The meat probes have been very consistent.  The ambient changes as the grill try's to regulate itself. I can hear the fan kick on and it will spike the temp. Then it will settle down. Then it will feed a little more pellets and ramp up the fan and spike again. At 225 it was running on the 230-275 so I tried dropping to the next setting down at 180 and it dropped off quite a bit. I brought it back to the 225 setting and it climbed to over 280 on the grill and read 360 on my ambient probe on the opposite side of the grill from where traeger has theirs. I figured a pellet grill could keep a better control on the temps than that. For starting temps the small one was just over 70 and the bigger one was mid 60's. The went on  a little over 3 hours ago. Been on for about 3 hours 20 minutes. Current temps 167 and 146. I will swap the probes now and report back if it changes. ??

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how long they been on and what was the internal temp when you stuck the probe in?....should not have any wild swings...my igrill prob will go back and forth one degree...i dont use the meat probes that come with the smoker...trust your digitals you bought......if you have multiple probes on the one you bought....take one  out and take it outside the grill and see if it sez the same temp as the outdoors temp not laying on the smoker to check it out,but im sure its fine....but wild swings....hmmmmm........replace the spot where you have the probes,,,you may be in a fat zone or bone zone....lol        a lil temp swing reading      http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=34905.0

Wash

read that temp link...sez basically to dont pay attention to wild swings....lol and sumthin bout p settings which i know nothing about      Wash

For starting temps the small one was just over 70 and the bigger one was mid 60's. The went on  a little over 3 hours ago. Been on for about 3 hours 20 minutes. Current temps 167 and 146. I will swap the probes now and report back if it changes. ?

you are on track....put down the tongs and slowly back away from the smoker       Ha  

ah,,,heres your p settings and temp swings  explained      http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=8572.0         some more straight from traeger      http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=4172.0                                         Wash

Edited by washguy

Its the p thing that gives temp swings on a traeger.......go to p-0 as this sez       http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=10651.0

or get one of these     http://ortechcontrols.com/pdf/TR100_User_Guide.pdf      these folks made the controller before treager went china on them  they will not let the temp swing inside the smoker  70 bills           or im not even gonna ruin your new smoker  day by suggesting something        Wash

Return it and get the one I wanted anyways?  This thing came as a gift. The crappiest part about today is that starting around 11, I started getting a pain in my gut. It's been getting worse since then. I'm barely going to be able to sample this stuff when it's done. 

Apparently they come from the factory on P-2 and most guys recommend P-0 to be the most stable. I will change that before next time. Thanks for the links. I guess the higher P numbers let you smoke at lower temps, but it makes everything crazy from 225 and up. 

Apparently they come from the factory on P-2 and most guys recommend P-0 to be the most stable. I will change that before next time. Thanks for the links. I guess the higher P numbers let you smoke at lower temps, but it makes everything crazy from 225 and up. 

Now I are a traeger mechanic   lol       so where we at with the butts?????           Wash

You got me all curious now. How would you like to ruin my new smoker day?

DNP they are lookin great....so a great smoker will have super steady temps with no variations...mine stays at the temp thats dialed in no ups downs unless I want it to...that goes for any smoker ..offset wood,,,stick you name it...steady smoke/temp thats what makes the meat come out great.....soooo we cant have the wild ups and then back downs.....dunno bout the p0 either..... you need to look into that  ortech controller ,,,but geeez you shouldnt have to replace a controller on a new unit...... you are gonna spend thousands of dollars in meats and pellets  and your time over the life of a smoker.... why have heartburn with crazy temp fluctuations?

Wash

It is BS. And I think it warrants a phone call to traeger. New $900 grill can't hold temp. They should be buying the controller. I was all set. You had me talked into GM. I even got a buddy here to buy a GM...he loves it. Guy we camp with brought his traeger out and my folks were camping with us. They heard me compliment his grill a few times and me mention wanting a pellet smoker...so they got me and the wife this one. I'll take it. But if they'll return it after I talk to traeger this week, I may ship it back. 

On this factory p2 setting, I've had a swing of over 130 degrees total. Set at 225 I've been getting reads 240-375!  The air is still outside. It's just the ups and downs from the auger and their built in pause at p-2. 

that's bull shit! My smoker goes +\-5* and that's it. I'd totally call them and show your disappointment. 

It is BS. And I think it warrants a phone call to traeger. New $900 grill can't hold temp. They should be buying the controller. I was all set. You had me talked into GM. I even got a buddy here to buy a GM...he loves it. Guy we camp with brought his traeger out and my folks were camping with us. They heard me compliment his grill a few times and me mention wanting a pellet smoker...so they got me and the wife this one. I'll take it. But if they'll return it after I talk to traeger this week, I may ship it back. 

ive read stuff for you...traeger customer service I dont think can help cause thats the built in software...nothing they can do....ship it back...the swings are unacceptable....Wow didnt know that traegers were 900.... thats what ive got in the GMG. the gmg has forced air in the auger and it just sits there and huffs maintaining perfect temps...it runs the auger different than a traeger.....sorry brother   

Wash    

Edited by washguy

I've been probing butts all day. Can't wait to pull em out and get a little sauce on em.  

im thinkin their done pull em wrap for a bit...if you are above 197 pullem  they will gain temp in the resting stage..... get your bear claws ready......its gonna be tasty!         Wash

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic