• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lurking and learning in NE Florida

DCR375

Just gathering intel before committing my meager resources towards a 7.62x51 AR platform build, which I believe will have more user attainable accuracy potential, if built properly, than an M1A scout/squad, for equal total investment.

I'm putting together my first M1A, 22" not a scout build, but in my limited experience up to this point, an M1A "build" vs buying a new or used Springfield Armory rifle, will run substantially more than an AR build, especially if your trying to build it with USGI parts. The M1A receivers run anywhere from around $600/$700 on the low end to over $1000 on the high. I'm not aware of any large platform AR receiver sets that are $1K. you need to buy a rail or FF tube for the AR but you need a stock for the M1A. I think when I'm finished with my M1A build it will have cost me close to twice what I've put .308 AR's together for. I'm not sure about the accuracy, but most people I know say the AR's outshoot the M1A's (I'm hoping to prove them wrong) I'd definitely say an AR is the way to go if your on a budget, unless you've got friends with M1A experience and parts, to walk you through it and help with the build.

Forgot to mention in my last post, everything I said applies only if your trying to build an accurate gun to serve a purpose, without any emotional component involved in the decision. if Your one of the M14/M1A faithful, none of that applies because your not going to be satisfied with anything else, and none of the, shall we say, idiosyncracies of the design will bother to you.

I am in concurrence Jgun. I've got a good bit bit of experience with the AR platform in general, and, as it relates to my goals, a fair amount of building/parts swapping with my 5.56 rifles. M1A's are not hobbyist friendly to wrench on for accuracy, from what I've learned, and not an inherently more accurate rifle, despite common mythology. Damn fine rifles, and highly accurate when modified properly, but a stock Springfield is not an out of the box Camp Perry ringer. For the cost of a new, stock Scout Squad, I'm thinking I can make a pretty decent .308 AR that will out shoot it mechanical accuracy wise. I know of the mystique of the M14, and it is alluring. The 1911 of the rifle world so to speak.

Yes, a good analogy. Probably why I find myself attracted to them. I already like the 1911's and HD's in spite of what some say is their outdated design. considering the popularity of both, I guess I'm not alone. I must admit, I'm finding that the situation with the M14's is a little different than with the others. It seems as though the aftermarket hasn't caught up with the increasing interest in the M1A's. The GI parts have gone through the roof price wise and there aren't that many options for quality aftermarket  parts yet, but I've seen a number of new parts being introduced, especially modern chassis type stocks, so hopefully, they'll start to become more reasonable to put together in the future.

I forgot to address the skill required to build an accurate M1A. Although I'm just now getting started there definitely seems to be more more mystery in making an M!A shoot well as compared to the AR's, and the limitations on the max barrel dia in front of the gas cylinder , along with the difficulty in freefloating it, certainly seems to make fine tuning the barrel harmonics, along with specific loads for your setup, more important than it is with the AR platform. Good luck with your build, and, as I'm sure you know from your AR 15 experience, a high quality barrel will go a long way to getting you the best accuracy attainable from your build.

Good luck with your build, and, as I'm sure you know from your AR 15 experience, a high quality barrel will go a long way to getting you the best accuracy attainable from your build.

Definitely agree with this. A quality barrel in combination with good barrel/receiver fitment is the foundation of an accurate AR in my opinion. A really good trigger is invaluable too.