• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

mega Monolithic single rail

washguy

As an FYI, Mega has ceased production of the mono uppers due to a perceived possible patent infringement so looks like those who already have them are the lucky ones!

Hey Gunner  no kiddin on the mono? really? where did you find this super duper info? <thumbsup>  Wash

Hey Gunner  no kiddin on the mono? really? where did you find this super duper info? <thumbsup>  Wash

Here it is lifted from ARFCOM: 

Well here it is from CalGuns. Hope I am not out of line passing this along.

July 17, 2012

To our Valued Customer:

Announcement regarding Mega Arms Monolithic MTS upper receivers:

We have both good news and also tough news to deliver. So to quickly get the bad news out of the way: we are no longer manufacturing, or offering for sale, our MTS Monolithic upper receivers. This includes sets involving the MTS upper in AR-15 and MATEN. If you are a custom MTS client, please contact us.

You must be wondering why we are taking this step. No, we did not have any safety or quality issues. You already know that our MTS upper is made to our high expectations and has been the pinnacle of the industry since its inception. We recently became aware that a competitor is about to obtain a patent, and we believe that this competitor will assert its patent against us. We have strong defenses, but we are not a large company that can sustain ongoing litigation expenses. Plus we would rather be working on providing a superior replacement.

The good news is that we are working on a new platform that far exceeds anything currently offered in the industry. It will be exactly what you would expect from Mega Arms. We have no specific time frame on when we will be able to start shipping the new platform, but stay tuned for news on that front.

The MTS upper for AR-15 and MATEN has been a huge success for us at Mega Arms, and we are just as disappointed as you are with this decision and change. We convey our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause to you or your customers. We at Mega Arms look forward to our new platform, and believe that it will be a platform that the industry would expect to see from us at Mega Arms!

Sincerely,

Mega Arms

Read about it HERE

Mega Arms halts sale of monolithic uppers

In a move that may signal the first of more possible announcements by companies manufacturing AR platforms, Mega Arms has decided to stop the manufacture and sale of their line of AR15 and MATEN MTS monolithic upper receivers.

In an announcement to their dealers earlier this week, Mega explains one of their competitors has obtained a patent that grants them ownership of the monolithic rail platform. Mega states they do not want to put the resources into the expense of ongoing litigation and instead will work to bring a new platform to market that will exceed the performance of existing receivers

The company became aware of possible US patent infringement issues earlier this spring and spent a couple months conferring with their legal counsel and trying to get in contact with the patent holder.

I spoke with Jason Curns, manager of Mega Arms, who said they had explored other options before taking this step. “We reached out to the patent holder to discuss a licensing deal and we never heard back,” Curns said.

GearScout has learned that the patent holder is Karl Lewis, of Lewis Machine and Tool, who shares the patent with co-inventors James Bargren, Jacob Schafer and Neal Hohl. The patent application was filed in 2003 and granted full, non-provisional, patent status in May, 2012.

It remains to be seen how other manufacturers will deal with the surfacing of this patent. The patent could be like a bomb going off in the offices of Colt, POF, VLTOR and other manufacturers using an upper receiver with a continuous rail and integral handguard.

Too bad about the mono setups. You guys that already have them now have collectors items. I wonder what they're alluding to with the line about a revolutionary new design?

So far I've been impressed with everything I've seen from them, hope they raise the bar even higher with the next offering,  something with an integral collapsing stock like AAC's Honeybadger would be very nice.

WoW  Well sometimes I do have some good luck <laughs>  geez  ....I do believe the monolithics are unique. Big thanks to Chris Harter at performance arms for selling me one of his last week!  I dont think there are any 308 style on the way to anyone but here's hoping!

Guys I just bought a mega monolithic quad rail rifle length bout ten mins ago (ar15) from jse surplus....they have  mts mid length and rifle length in stock right now....the upper monolithic only...not the upper lower sets...but that fine by me....so if you all think that someday one might be worth having ...go now and jump on them  <thumbsup> Wash