• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy, DPMS 308 AP4

IndustrialRescue

Saw a few references to this site through AR15.com, figured I'd check it out. I just put a DPMS LR 308 AP4 Carbine on layaway yesterday. Apparently, it's somewhat older, as it has an A2 backup sight, rather than a removeable carrying handle. Still new in box, though. Which is perfecty fine with me, as it allows me to mount optics, and still have a backup sight.

I'm not sure if I want to go with an Aimpoint, like I have on my other AR platforms, as I'd kind of like to shoot further than 300 yards. If I mount an actual scope, I'll probably have to go with a different backup sight, that I can collapse.

Any thoughts on a decent scope for around $500? I have a KonusPro 8.5-32x50 on my 50BMG, and have been impressed with its performance. I'd like a scope that I can turn down to zero magnification, for shooting courses, but still turn up to 9 or 10 for longer distances. A Vortex 1-4x would work, but 4x isn't much magnification for longer range.

Also, I've heard that I might need to get the chamber polished?  Any other issues I should know about?

DPMS308ap41.jpg

Congrats on your new rig. I have the exact same AP4 with rear sight also, only my FFT has vent-cuts or slots.

Chamber polishing I would not worry about, as that usually is an issue with Stainless Steel barrels.

Decent Scope for under $500? Either a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 or something Weaver or Bushnell. I hear that the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam is a fully Made in Japan scope, with Mrad adjustments for $299. But, the Burris MTAC 3-10 with Gen. 2 Mildot reticle and Mil adjustments has really piqued my interest. If you really want to keep firmly under $500, go with the Burris. The Gen 2 reticle makes holdovers easier with the 1/2 mil subtensions.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-3-5-10x-42mm-mtac-g2b-mil-dot-reticle-rifle-scope.html

thanks for the info. If I come up with the money someday, I'd like to put on an ACOG of some sort.

Congrats on your new rig. I have the exact same AP4 with rear sight also, only my FFT has vent-cuts or slots.

Chamber polishing I would not worry about, as that usually is an issue with Stainless Steel barrels.

Decent Scope for under $500? Either a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 or something Weaver or Bushnell. I hear that the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam is a fully Made in Japan scope, with Mrad adjustments for $299. But, the Burris MTAC 3-10 with Gen. 2 Mildot reticle and Mil adjustments has really piqued my interest. If you really want to keep firmly under $500, go with the Burris. The Gen 2 reticle makes holdovers easier with the 1/2 mil subtensions.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-3-5-10x-42mm-mtac-g2b-mil-dot-reticle-rifle-scope.html

You're welcome. Thanks for the support.

What are good options for a muzzle brake? I'm leaning toward an AAC 51 tooth QD brake, simply due to the fact that I plan to put on a silencer.

But it WOULD be fun to get a ridiculously obnoxious brake as well, just to piss people off with the noise...

Thoughts?

Thank you for your service I-R. <thumbsup>

Unless SilencerCo releases their 30 cal can anytime soon, which I doubt (they haven't even brought their 5.56 Saker to market yet) It looks like their design will attach to an AAC mount.

I have decided on the AAC 7.62 SDN6, with QD capability. It will work on both my DPMS, and on my bolt rifle, as well as my 5.56 AR15s.

Now, will I need an adjustable gas block, once I suppress the DPMS AP4? i've heard both yea, and nay answers.

Figure out which suppressor you will want in the future. You don't want to have to buy that part twice.