• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Would you believe 168 A-Max + H4895? I would ;)

NoFail

I wanted to try this one since it has a faster burn rate than anything I've tried so far. Just had an idea that the 16" might be better with it  <dontknow>

IMG_0738.jpg

168 A-Max

H4895

Winchester brass once fired. Forster Bench Rest die, Ultrasonic cleaned

CCI BR-2

2.815"

Neck tension .002"

H4895 43.0 gr (shot #4 doesn't belong with this string, although it looks like #2 doesn't belong)

IMG_0753.jpg

H4895 43.3 gr

IMG_0754.jpg

H4895 43.6 gr

IMG_0766.jpg

I dunno if last one was accident or not  <dontknow>  Best group I ever shot outta anything  :o

SD sucks though, go figure  <dontknow>

Yeah I gotta say that was a real good feeling to see man and machine come together after that one. Felt nice and tingly, maybe even at the testicular level  <laughs>

But seriously I can't wait to load some more of those up and prove it. The 43.6 charge that grouped is 1/10th grain over Hodgdon max for 168 gr Sierra HPBT. There was definite increase in recoil impulse up there in that

charge, but it felt good, hard to explain. Primers looked awesome absolutely no cratering (none at all with those 178's over the CFE223 either by the way). But at 43.6 H4895 their was on two case heads slight stamping from that ejector mark, just a hint. I think maybe prudent to back off charge just a bit. Maybe work between 43.3 and 43.6. Also I may shoot faster between shots. The more I look at my targets today the more I develop theory in my head that the first shot is cold so maybe that causes the POI to be off from the next two "warm" rounds. Just a hunch to prove or disprove to myself. It makes sense if you look at most my groups on the paper.

Shall I load 4round groups and ignore where 1st lands or do another way? Or load my four Pmags with 3 rounds each for the ready to change in mags quickly? I like the former me thinks. Just thinking out loud, guys  <munch>

• 1 month later...

I couldn't see that last photo, so I don't know what the grouping and other info was, but I'm using H4895 for my 18.5" Criterion barrel with a 175 SMK and I got a 3 shot group that measured less than 1/4" center to center.  I couldn't believe it.  I've NEVER shot a group like that.  I had a 4th shot also that "opened" the group up to just a little less than .5".  Now I'm waiting for the planets to align and the right weather (lighting conditions) to use my chronograph to find out how fast (or slow) they're going.  I hope it's in the 2600 FPS range, but doubtful. 

ES & SD look real good on the second photo . What trigger system are you using ?

JP EZ fire control system, single stage, 4/4.5 lbs. Absolutely no creep. I like it, hope it lightens up a little with use.

My groups have been getting better as I just keep shooting. A new 12x scope helped a lot. I just got from Midway a bag for rear stock. It's one with rabbit ears and I think that it's going to make a good difference, seems to have already.

Here's a target I shot recently, without new rear bag though. 43.3 gr H4895 under 168 Amax, CCI BR-2.

Six 5 shot groups.

IMG_0796.jpg

Very nice Nofail  <thumbsup> I just picked up some more of the 168's A-Max so I can get started on my load again. Feel like I've been neglecting this section since I haven't posted down here for awhile.

I know, seasprite, me too brother. I've got some Varget I've been trying recently. Have had some good results with it too. My bro is bringing me down some more of it from Reno. I think maybe Varget is your friend!! I can't help myself from tasting every powder I get a bone for. But I think I'll stop doing that now. I need to settle on one sooner or later.

The Amax's, I bought a box of 250 168's from midway. It was 68$. Now I found this place http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-305026-30Cal-.308-168gr-A-Max-%28250%29.html

56$ for that same box of 250  <thumbsup>

That is a very nice price even better than Powder Valley. My understanding is that for accuracy its hard to beat Varget from what I've read about it you'll be a happy shooter <thumbsup>. With my 16" barrel I'm trying to keep my velocity loss to a min. by trying these new powders. Before they came out I was going to try Varget and Reloader15.

Since I put an PRI adjustable gas block on my rifle the brass has stopped taken damage at the rims and the dents have went away and ejection is at 4:00 o'clock so I'm going to retry my load of 47.9gr of CFE 223 with the 168's seated at 2.790" along with the temps coming down I have a feeling this is going to be my goto load.