• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

carbon wrapped barrels

Jgun

Shortly before I took delivery of my barrel I was having trouble getting in touch with Mike the owner of ABS. I was getting worried that I might not ever see my barrel after having already payed almost the full amount we had agreed upon for the barrel. When I finally tracked him down, He told me that he had had some medical problems that had kept him out of the shop for several weeks. he also told me that they were in the process of finishing up a large barrel order for the Marine's, and that they were finishing up all present orders and weren't accepting new one's at that time because they were in the process of moving to a new (maybe larger?) location. If I can locate my old contact information, I will attempt to get in touch with him this next week. If I'm able to do so I will post any updated contact info I get.

Robocop,

Take a look at this site. You might do well to give these guys a call. It would certainly be nice if they could fix you up in a more reasonable time frame than what I had to endure. If  this doesn't work for you let me know and I will resume my search for a contact number for ABS.

http://bettincustomguns.com/Carbon%20Barrels/Carbon%20Barrels.htm

Courtney Crane from "Christensen Arms" replied, saying that they will take a carbon wrapped barrel order over the phone.

Todd Bettin from "Bettin Custom Guns" replied that they do NOT make barrels for the AR type rifles, and they instead referred me to KK Jense at "Jense Precision".

For anyone interested, I have phone contacts for both Jense and Christensen. Now I have to decide which barrel I like more. Christensen does the mesh fiber look. Jense does the natural ABS look.

Both websites say they can make me a 1:11.25 twist, rifle length, 16" threaded barrel that is .875 at the gas block.

I haven't called them yet. I work grave shift, so by the time I wake most places are near closing. I have the rest of the week off now. If I can sneak away from the wife long enough, I'll make the call in the next day or so. My "honey-do" list is kinda long this weekend.

I pulled the trigger last night and finally made the order. Jgun, I ended up not calling Michelle. Jense Precision (also called "Xtreme Precision Armament") made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I talked to Mike, their tech, and we went over some design options and his professional opinion. He had a few Rock 5R barrels on hand that were already for a home. I ended up settling on a rifle length 17" barrel, bored to .3078 (his idea), with a 1:11.27 twist... Yes, that says .27, it isn't a typo. These guys are STRICT with their measurments. The final contour will be .875 at the gas block. Not quite a "bull barrel", but heavier than normal.

Mike offered (for a cost of course) to assemble the barrel to the upper/BCG. He says they can guarantee a .4 to .2 MOA!!! He also mentioned that if I ever shoot out the barrel and I no longer am getting the accuracy I want, I can send the barrel in to be bored out to a .338 Federal for about $150. That is like getting a whole new rifle.

This is not an endevour for the light of wallet. If you don't have an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket, I wouldn't even suggest this crazy mission. Very few of us are foolish to cross this boundry.

I'm one step closer to a sub-MOA rifle that weighs less than 8 lbs.

I can't wait to see the completed rifle. Do you have your rec set and BCG from SI Defense yet? Doesn't he need the bolt to headspace the barrel?

Also, I don't remember what hand guard you went with, or which stock, but my build came in just over 8lbs with Larue rail(18 oz) and CTR stock, with empty mag and iron sights. It should be interesting to see if your able to get it under 8lbs. I think the 1 inch shorter barrel is going to make the rifle swing better. I really like the way a 16" AR feels compared to an 18".  By the way did he give you a estimate on how soon it will be ready?

It's just  mob mentality. People do things in groups that they would never think of doing alone. LOL!

That's the beauty of this place - there's more than one person to help shove you right off the cliff...

<lmao>

I'm lmao over here.

I just got my SI-D rec set, but the BCG is still a bit out. I did pre-order and make payment arrangements for it already. I should be getting in on the first run. I went with the Apex handguard (10.4 oz) and the Ace ARFX stock (10.9 oz).

Mike at Jense Precision said they had a few Rock 5R barrels already on hand, and no big projects in the works. He was talking about 8 week or less time frames. I told him I had to wait on the BCG at least that long. He said he is already familiar with Fail Zero plated parts. He seemed as excited about the build as I am.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this thread, about 3 weeks ago I dropped an email to Jense indicating tht I wanted to buy one oeir Rock 5R carbon wrapped barrels, and that I was interested in having them mount the barrel and headspace the bolt.  Nothing.  Dropped another email early this week, attaching the first one.  Nothing.  Called them yesterday around noon and left a message that I wanted to buy.  Nothing.

I had myself all taked into a carbon barrel (twice the barrel life, etc) and had justified the cost in my mind.  Looks like I'll be sticking with steel. 

I am anxious to see the range reports from the guys that were fortunate enough to score one. 

I'll tell you this, I went through a decent amount of stress and aggravation in getting my carbon wrapped barrel. Is it lighter, yes, but, Unlike Robocop, I haven't built the entire gun as light as I could, so what I saved weightwise on the barrel, doesn't make the gun feel that different. I remember while doing the build, I had envisioned a gun that, when you picked it up, you were shocked at how light it felt. That has not turned out to be the case. My gun, with BUIS (no optic) and an empty mag, weighs 8.5 lbs, about as much as a heavy AR 15. Of course it does have a full railed handguard, and an 18" barrel, but it's not surprisingly light as I've heard the Christiensen guns are. The barrel life claims will probably take me years to prove/disprove. What I'd really like to find out this year, is how accurate is it. Unfortunately, My gun building sickness seems to be preventing me from saving the money for the appropriate optic to do that.