• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-10A Mag catch...

I understand that the AR-10 uses modified magazine and bolt catches, made specifically to enhance the operation with the larger .308 parts. I saw from one of Imschur's previous post that there are some minor differences in the AR-10A and the AR-10B.

I currently have an AR-15 mag catch in my SI-D lower (LR-308 compatible). I'm wondering if the AR-10A would be a compatible upgrade for my rifle? Especially since the AR-10A is Magpul LR20 friendly, and that is all I own!

I have the std AR 10 mag catch in my CMMG lower & it holds the mag tighter in the receiver . I tried it to see if that would help with using Pmags in this lower , but they still won't function properly , as said all the steel mags work fine .

Not sure how the new type ( A ) mag catch would work any different , just the (I guess " B " ) works fine in the CMMG lower.

There is a thread about the differences in the AR 15 or DPMS mag catches & AR 10's , check the CMMG section its in there some where , just don't know about the newer " A " type  or its Bolt stop .

The longer threaded stem is the AR 10 mag stop , it also has more beef on the catch area.

post-154-136297282186_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297282197_thumb.jpg

ArmaLite actually has a tech note that covers this and has pictures too...

Boltstops_zpsc35e16db.jpg

As you can see, the M15 and AR-10A Bolt Stops are similar in shape. However, the AR-

10A Bolt Stops are clearly marked AR-10A. And, if you look closely at the upper left

portion of those two parts, you’ll see significant visual differences between the two.

The AR-10B Bolt Stop is very different in shape than the other two. Note the relatively

large flat angled surface near the top of the AR-10B Bolt Stop.

[img width=810 height=439]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/mrraley/firearms%20stuff/Magrelease_zps4a12b043.jpg

Differences among the three Magazine Catches can be seen in the shape of the boss on

the right end of each catch. (This is the boss that engages the cutout in the magazine

body in order to retain the magazine in the lower receiver.)

The M15 and AR-10B Magazine Catches are similar in design. However, the magazine

catch boss on the M15 Magazine Catch has a chamfer on its lower side (shown in red

above), whereas the AR-10B boss lacks that chamfer. The AR-10A Magazine Catch is easy to differentiate from the other two. Note that the boss on the right end of the AR-10A Magazine Catch is rounded on its outer end.

ArmaLite Tech note 101