• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

If they made it would you have gotten it?

usspfnorman

Hey guys I made a post in the build thread about this but now im doing a little research.  Basically I'm asking if anyone on here has a gap in-between there rails and gas block on any ar type rifle or have you seen one or know anyone that does?  If so would you have bought a different gas block that would cover that gap up or know someone that would have?  Example pic of what I'm talking about is below.  My hopes are that this is common enough that a certain company will start producing gas blocks to solve this problem.

Thanks

Chris

post-1962-136297282182_thumb.jpg

If i wanted a regular gas block, yes.  without a doubt.  For my 308, Im going to keep the gap for now because i'm waiting on a syrac ord adj in .850".  What i would prefer is that midwest ind starts making a dpms 308 thread barrel nut for my mega 308 so i can mount the 15" ff ss hand-guard to cover the GB altogether.  Since that's not an option, i would prefer a gas block that didn't have the gap, that isn't cost prohibitive. Not gonna happen on the 308, though.  For future builds (like the three ar15s im about to start looking for parts and then put together), yes, I would buy it.  It's an annoyance that doesnt REALLY matter, but bugs me enough I'd have to do something about it if i could.  ;D

Russ

Ya but I wanted a krieger everything would've been fine if they would've used a dpms style gas system on there dpms style barrels.

Hi Uss  I know just playin with ya :)  I wouldnt  give my mono up either,but we gotta get that gas block under the rail

sell the Kreiger...get the Rainier  ultramatch 18" with the middy gas system......heck you will come out ahead too prolly!

ill bet the Rainier will shot as well or better ! they got em in stock too!....you could have your stick all pretty and together by Thursday!  :)  Wash

see.....this IS the place for probelm solving  :)    Wash

But its a krieger, a krieger I've waited six months for.  I dont wanna sell it already  :'(  I didn't think it got much better than them for a barrel.  Also I just realized the 2 ars at the top of the page are the same way.

Im here for ya    Lets do this....we cant have that awesome one of a kind Mega Monolithic with its sleek, kewl,functional rail and that stoopid chunk of a gas block half azz hangin out......so lets get the Rainier match barrel middy gas....and then lets build another 308 using a rail .....say a troy trx  battlerail that should cover the gas block on the kreiger in a new build? <laughs>  you and I both know you cant have the gas block out there on a monolithic....the mega police will come for ya <laughs>

Hell....just one 308  wont do either !  see....once again problemo solved! <thumbsup> Wash

The only reason why I just dont like the rainier barrel is that it isnt heavy enough.  I'm building this rifle with Tod Hodnets theory in mind.  He believes that a shortish thick barrel is more accurate than thinner barrels the same length or longer.  Given his track record I'm not going to question him.

Hi Uss  so whatcha plan on doing with your 308 ?  is it  gonna be a paper puncher ? I hope you know im just yanking your chain? :)  you know what? ill bet you that prolly 60% or more of the 308's here have the gas block exposed....so just leave it alone....hell its a krieger    ;) Wash

I have a 20" barreled, rifle gas, 5.56 precision gun with a 12" rail, and it has the same gap.  I don't worry about the gap.  If something hits that gun right between the gas block and the rail, and if it can crush that gas tube, which might make my rifle inoperable - then I've got a hell of alot more to worry about...  I let them get too close, and I'm going to another one of the back-up weapons. 

You're in deep poop it that gap affects you, operationally.  :o