• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Prvi 175gr

planeflyer21

Well, took the Freedom Machine out this morning to see how she likes the Prvi 175gr FMJBT.  I'd have to say she was loving it!

Until she just quit working.  :o

Trigger won't move.  Oh, must be the...nope, safety is off.  Drop magazine, clear chamber, lock bolt back.  Drop bolt.  No clicky-click.  About then I see a twisted piece of brass.  Upon closer examination, it is an anvil from a primer (shooting off the hood of my Ranger, usually there isn't any anvils on there).

You have GOT to be kidding me I'm thinking, having JUST read an article yesterday where a primer jammed up the trigger group on an AR15.

Pull the upper off the FM and sure as poop, the primer cup is down in the trigger group.  Squeeze the trigger, primer is blocking it.

Dump it out, trigger works fine catching the hammer with my other thumb.

So now the search begins for the offending cartridge that lost the primer.  Found it...nice once fired brass with the primer missing.

Anyone try the clear nail polish to hold the primers in place?

Jon

Hi Plane    On my first 308 build last year I took her out for the first time using Privi 150 gr in the blue box....yep blew three or four primers.....Privi  suks <laughs> on top of that....on the last primer problemo the primer stuck up the whole works....couldnt break open the rifle and couldnt pull back on the charging handle....the range guy sees this and pulls out a big ol rubber mallet and proceeds to beat the crap out of my brand new Mega's charging handle.....yep the bcg came back...opened the rifle took out the bcg and charging handle that was hard to take out of upper....the charging handle had a 10 degree bend from the beating....range guy and Privi both suk! <lmao> Wash

I have 500 rnds. of 175gr match and haven't lost a primer yet. Only bought it so I could use my rifle until I got my reloading started for the .308. I have used the brass for reloading and the primer pockets seem to loosen up pretty quick (5 times) without any other pressure signs, so it makes me wounder if the brass is soft.

Maybe their holes are on the large size.

I know handpriming pistol brass some are easier than others.  Remington's flared holes are easy, Fiocci, S&B are tight...even worry about popping a primer sometimes.

I've noticed that if you clean primer pockeds with the little stainless brush that RCBS has, it seems to rough up the pocket a bit, so it holds the primer a bit better.

YMMV

Jon

Maybe their holes are on the large size.

I know handpriming pistol brass some are easier than others.  Remington's flared holes are easy, Fiocci, S&B are tight...even worry about popping a primer sometimes.

I've noticed that if you clean primer pockeds with the little stainless brush that RCBS has, it seems to rough up the pocket a bit, so it holds the primer a bit better.

YMMV

Jon

I'm thinking about getting some Tula primers there suppose to be a little bit bigger than other primers. I have noticed that they are tighter in my pistol brass.

I'm thinking about getting some Tula primers there suppose to be a little bit bigger than other primers. I have noticed that they are tighter in my pistol brass.

Holes getting wallowed out, no good anymore.  Used to have that issue with girlfriends.  <laughs>

Always started out "Oooo...that's the biggest one I've ever seen!"  By the end it was always "You jerk little dick a-hole!"  <lmao>

Jon

Holes getting wallowed out, no good anymore.  Used to have that issue with girlfriends.  <laughs>

Always started out "Oooo...that's the biggest one I've ever seen!"  By the end it was always "You jerk little dick a-hole!"  <lmao>

Jon

Just take some extenz but you may have to see a doctor after 4 hrs.  <lmao>

So now the search begins for the offending cartridge that lost the primer.  Found it...nice once fired brass with the primer missing.

Don't need to run that one through the press to deprime it...  <lmao>

Any pressure signs on any of the other primers?