• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Troy battle sights on an LAR-8

ces777

ok here comes a newbie question- don't laugh too hard.  :cookoo:

I bought some troy sights - and one says it is for the gas block.  However after mounting them it seems my front sight is way higher than my rear sight.  Won't that throw off my sight angle?? Seems odd to me - I think i need to go back and buy the regular front sight - seems my receiver rail and gas block rail are the same height.

(by the way I have an LAR-8 A4 20" standard flattop with the railed gas block)

Any opinions or jabs here?

Just run a straight edge - makes sure it's flat/flush along the whole length of the receiver.  If the gas block is on the same plane, it'll be easy to see along the straight edge.  If it's not the same plane, it'll be easy to see...

well if my straight edge is accurate- the top of the gas block rail is about 1/8 lower than the top of the receiver rail.  I used four different edges - glass desktop, door jamb, door edge and kitchen counter (turned the rifle upside down). Each one measured 1/8...primitave but seemingly accurate.  Quesiton now is - does that 1/8 warrant the use of the Troy gas block sights...maybe i should just go shoot the thing and quit being weird eh?

I think you should sight it in. The Troy ft gas block sight you have is correct for this application, that 1/8 is a real difference when you are talking about sights.

What Robocop showed is an alternate way to mount the ft sight to the gas block if a specific gas block sight is not available.