• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My affinity for sweet parts...

98Z5V

...is not limited to firearms...  :o :cookoo:

I'm a sucker for things that are nice, nice looking, well made, and work better than "OEM."  Straight sucker for it.

I think the last three bikes I've bought have lasted (the longest) one week, bone-stock.  They get modified.  Part of that is the power freak in me, but alot of it is just the constant quest to make OEM "better..." 

Just picked up some nice stuff for another habit that I have, which is the bikes/race quads.  Now, logical reasoning brought me to this purchase decision, but it got outta control in very short order.  <dontknow>

Restored/rebuilt a 1986 Honda TRX-250R back in 2008.  I haven't had the engine apart since then, still holding up.  I replaced EVERYTHING that was a wear-item on that thing, when I went through it.  Cables, seals, bearings, gaskets, cooling lines, worn trans gears, shift forks, everything.  Went with an upgraded ignition computer and ignition coil, but carry the OEM spares in my Camel-Bak when I ride.  If there was any wear, it was replaced. 

Now, looming on the horizon is my annual Thanksgiving trip to the sand dunes on southern Cali.  My clutch was new in '08.  I've been through two clutch cables during this time, but this will be the 5th year (trip-wise) on the clutch fibers, steels, and springs...  What if I blow it out this time?  I carry a spare clutch kit anyway, but changing it out is a pain in the ass, with the waterpump in the front of the clutch cover housing.

Aha!  I need an aftermarket quick-change clutch cover!  ;D  Very few companies doing this anymore, because it was a modification to the stock clutch cover in the past, from a few performance companies - keep in mind, this is a 1986 quad, and it's entire production run went from 1986 to 1989.

One aftermarket company has started casting their own clutch-side cases, with a quick-change cover built in.  Cheaper than what the old companies used to charge for the mod.  I called them up, talked to them, got it on order - with more...  The order kept growing and growing, and I finally had to hang up.  :o

Brand new manufacture clutch-side cover, with billet quick-change cover, billet waterpump cover, billet stator cover (other side of the engine), billet shift and billet brake pedal...  Dayum. 

I'll get all the parts on tomorrow, in the shop, and get more pics up after that.  <thumbsup>

Parts:

100_0539.jpg

Going on:

MyTRX81.jpg

250RLittleRoost.jpg

Tom, you sick sick bastage....don't be surprised when the cameras show up and we stage an intervention this year in the dunes.  <thumbsup>

I'm glad that bike found such a loving home. 

I smell something extra in this post. There's chum in the water and I can see the hook.  I'm not sure you can con these guys into it. It's worth a shot though, there's always room for more friends around the camp fire.  Better double up on the deep pitted ribs this year though....

I smell something extra in this post. There's chum in the water and I can see the hook.  I'm not sure you can con these guys into it. It's worth a shot though, there's always room for more friends around the camp fire.  Better double up on the deep pitted ribs this year though....

Done.  You know how I always camp about a hundred yards out - bringing friends this year, but friends that , at least, Anthony knows. A kid I used to race with, but he's not a kid anymore.  I talked his dad into buying a badass 250R, so he's bringing that with - completely converted now.  <laughs> They'll be doing the whole week with us.  <thumbsup>

Right now, I'm Wednesday-to-Tuesday, so I should be out there sometime Wednesday night. 

Got the parts in there tonight, after work:

post-71-136297282755_thumb.jpg

Here's what she looks like all cleaned up, but NEKKID!  ;D  This thing is such a perfect all-around duner.  Love it. 

Nekkid250R.jpg

Rene, watch this vid, brother.  This might make your shoulder hurt even more...    Click it to hit it - this was last year at T-day.  My kid (knucklehead) was filming, and DNP was right there, too. 

By the way, that sweet 250R came from DNP in the first place - it has a special place in his heart, too.  <thumbsup>

th_SMOV0004.jpg