• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

new from Hawaii

dagamore

Yep i live in hawaii, and am new to the big bore ar's.

I work for(not in) the US Army here on Oahu, have a secondhand LR-308 with the monster 24" bull barrel on it, and the magpul PRS on the back end, its a damn nice rifle, only shot 7.62x51 surplus out of it so far and its shooting better then i can, hitting a 6x6 plate @ ~450 meters, more often then not.  Will have to spend some time getting a good load setup for it. any info would be great. (powders/pills that this type of rifle likes to use, for mid to long range shooting 4-700 meters.

I am gearing up for Boomershoot at the end of April in Idaho, anyone else planning on going?  Will post pictures later, at work so can link to my photos for the most part.

I am very new to the island, just moved here in May/June timeframe, still pissed that I moved from one place I could not get ammo over the internet(Germany) to another, no one will ship to HI, so its either reload or pay what I think is too much for ammo, ~25 per box of 20(not bad but its just Winchester hunting ammo) the surplus is ~18 per box but often on sale for ~14 so thats not bad.  I am going to be rolling my own, kind of shocked the only 44 spl ammo I can find on island is that damn self defense stuff.  But I got a press/dies/molds/lead so thats a so thats not a problem but I won’t be casting for 308.

on the ranges, the only one I found that is worth going to is Koko Head, its a nice range, free to use, with 50/100/200 rifle targets with plates beyond(I think you have to ask permission to use the 200 meter place holders(its on a different level then the 100).  But the plates are known(ish) distance and work fine for what I am gearing up for.  I have only done the plates on the pistol side and its $5 per shooter and they are at ~7 yards (might be like 10) but they are nice and big and in good shape, good steel too.  I am planning on going to the next SASS(cowboy) Shooting event, it’s held like every 4th Sunday at the KoKo head.  The other pistol side where they do SASS and IPPSC(I think thats what its called) is a decent berm type range with 5/7/10/15/20yard holes to put your target stands in.  But have not used it yet.  Will take my good camera with me next time I go and get some photos of the range and what not.

got some shots of the rifle.

559528_3538497792161_481224050_n.jpg

254469_3538498072168_545044858_n.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r281/dagamore/65558_3538497992166_1452257261_n.jpg

and whats a post with out some home made bacon(note it was made before moving to HI at my Dads house in WA)

bee389f0.jpg

and yes the bacon made some damn good jam.

03c85115.jpg

and some 321 ribs for dinner, i need to get another smoker so i can start doing that here.

e9a3123d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...