• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

MagPul PRS Stock Screw

planeflyer21

Ok!  Got the RRA Operator stock pulled after Tom the Man's advice to use a soldering iron, to heat up the stock screw.

Now the DPMS Stock Extender kit (recommended for the RRA LAR-8s) comes with a shorter and a longer screw for a counter-sunk hole, while the PRS comes with a flat flat-head screw. 

Both the stock RRA stock-screw and the MagPul stock-screw are bored through with a hole in the center of the axis, to relieve air pressure in the buffer tube whilest the buffer is cycling.  Neither of the DPMS screws are relieved with this hole in the center of the screw's axis.

Questions:

How necessary is the relief hole (I know I'm fond of mine)?

Would it be best to get a longer screw replicating the flat-head of the MagPul and have it bored through?

Thanks!

Jon

Soldering iron trick works like a champ, doesn't it?  <thumbsup>  Rips up loc-tite right now.  <laughs>

That stock extender goes on the back of the receiver extension?  Like the 5/8" A2 stock spacer?  Where does that thing go?  I thought there was a device that went between the receiver and receiver extension out there.

Squished that Loctite juicy dude!  <lmao>

What Brownell's packaged as a "buttstock extender" fits over the buffer tube and legos into the receiver extension at the front, and the PRS to its rear and the front of the PRS. There is then a round spacer inlet at the front to nest against the rear of the buffer tube and the inside of the stock.  The tube spacer has an unthreaded hole through it for the new retainer screw.

Rene bro, take the butt pad and slide it down all the way.  When your upper and lower are separated, with the buffer removed also, look at the screw head under the butt pad with light behind the buffer tube.  You will see a hole through the center of the buttstock retainer screw about 3/64ths in diameter.

poop!  Did I mention my scope is on the way!??!!?!?!?!?!?!

Jon

Curious why the rra would need the vented screw when other guns dont use it? Is it a tight seal in that tube?

I surely don't know blue.

Thinking about it, the sides of my buffers have reliefs on them that give a very slight triangular shape, when looking at them from the end that makes contact with the carrier.

Hhmmm....

Jon

Buttstock screws are all vented, if you're buying an in-spec part, that follows the intended design (the TDP).  I don't think it would be possible to "air-lock" the tube, due exactly to what Jon said above, about the buffer and the 3 reliefs.  The vented screw is there primarily for drainage, but it does push alot of air out of it. 

Drainage...who'd a thunk it!  Never experience hole drainage so I didn't think about it.  <thumbsup>

Jon

You've got to be kidding me... I'm all the time wading out of the surf with my MA TEN in hand, water dripping off and draining from the buttstock. It makes for a fantastic motivational poster!  <laughs> <lmao>

You've got to be kidding me... I'm all the time wading out of the surf with my MA TEN in hand, water dripping off and draining from the buttstock. It makes for a fantastic motivational poster!  <laughs> <lmao>

<laughs> Lucky!

What we need here in the desert, a picatinny mountable oil-tank with thumb squirter, similar to what is on chainsaws.  To help with extreme dust control.

Blaaaaaa-m blaaaaaaa-m blaaaaaaa-m <pump pump pump> blamblamblamblamblam!!!!

<thumbsup>

Jon