• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A Newbie and his project.

Catchdog

Hello, been a lurker here for awhile. Been digging through the forum and I can't quite come up with what I need. I am the proud owner of a heavy s.o.b of an LR-308 Classic. I just ordered a Rainier 16" barrel, and I'm going to go with a free float tube, BUIS, and all that fancy stuff, but I'm wondering if I'll have to get a new barrel extension to go with the new barrel. I'm basically wanting to build something lighter and shorter, because I've noticed that even packing that pig around on a four wheeler, it get's heavy and cumbersome. Am I going down the right track so far?

Thank you. I guess I'm wanting My LR to by a little lighter, and more easily managed. As is stands now, it's just to damned heavy and cumbersome. I intend on using it to hunt and a WSHTF main stick. Since I'm not a good long range shooter (400 yrds plus), I don't want a tacticool, space shuttle door gunner approved behemoth of a rifle.

Will mineral spirits hurt it at all?

How else would you get the paint off?

Toss the plastic parts in the garbage. Mineral Spirits are petroleum based and will probably eat those parts right up. Your metal is going to be very exposed and dry afterwards. You will need to do a thorough lube and grease afterwards of EVERYTHING. Otherwise Mr Rust is going to pay a BIG visit on your rifle. if you decide to paint it after, just use a degreaser with a scotchbrite pad to get it naked and scuffed up, and then paint away.