• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 build for the wife

Skiffjockey

My wife and I were discussing building her a 223 ar and she asked me if she could use it for moose hunting and when I told her no, she said she wanted a 308. She also said she doesn't want a cheap one. So, my goal is the lightest carbine 308 I can build. My first question for all you gurus is which receiver set (that uses pmags) to start with and who makes a decent barrel. Also, has anyone played around with spiral fluting and if so who did it?

Hi Skiff  seems like you need a mega ma 10 build with a Rainier arms 16" barrel,trx extreme battle rail....comes in under 10 lbs :)  Wash

I second the MaTen <thumbsup> I know Wash loves those TRX rails but I vote for the MRX myself :) Only problem is finding the MaTen right now. Rainier had them for a week and then they were gone. I just got mine in the mail last week and I ordered it the week before so 2 weeks and they are out of stock already.

Rock River's Elite Operator is 9.1#s empty, so it should be easy to shave off half a pound from the AR platform.

Keep us posted!

Jon

These RRA guys are always popping up :cookoo: . You have to poke them back into their holes with a sharp stick!

If you want an Armalite that uses PMAG's you must order the AR-10A

If she wants a nice hunting rig, I have to always suggest the Remington R-25. They come in .243, 7mm-08 and .308... And even though they have 20" barrel's they still only weight in at 7.75 lbs! They all come in Remington's "Mossy Oak" decor.

r-25-prod.ashx

If it were me, I'd go for the R-25 in .308. Then send the barrel in to get cut to 18" and threaded. Slap a brake on there and call it a day!

Don't make the poor girl heft a fluted heavy barrel around looking for a Moose. That's just cruel.

If the large format rifles are getting too heavy and pricey... AND your wife is a good shot!

Check out the 300Blk. You can build it on a small format rifle, and a 200+gr bullet will take down a Moose at 100 yards. You just have to hit it right. Keep it light and affordable. (Check out the Barnes TSX-FB 200gr!) A 300Blk with a 18"-20" barrel would be one hell of a hunting rifle.