• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First time out with new LR-308 - recommendations?

I will be making my first trip to the range with my LR-308 Oracle today. For starters I plan to remove the shipping oils from the bore before firing. Also, I see Mobil 1 is the recommended lube for the bolt? If so, I can do that. I'll clean the bolt and inside the upper before lubing it up.

Since this is a new rifle and I've heard DPMS has had some rough chamber issues, I figure I might have some extraction problems for awhile. In addition, I only have the stock steel mags for now but will get some Magpuls ordered.

I've had DPMS 5.56 ARs before and have done their break-in procedure (clean after every round for 25 rounds) but what do you guys think?  Is that worthwhile or a waste of time?  I have some 150gr soft point brass from Academy though they have some steel case stuff as well. Would steel be better to break it in with since it is harder than brass and might smooth the internals faster?  I could be talking out my keister there. 

Anything else I should consider before taking the beast out today?  Thanks in advance!

keep her WET! run brass, watch for the bolt locking back on the last round, good ejection, feeding, as for the break in….. I think on modern rifles it's a little overrated. Yes i will do a one shot clean for three rounds, then a five round group, then a twenty, then it's go time… is it right? I don't know, but I know lots of people who don't break in at all and have fine shooting rifles… that debate will never end… do what you feel comfortable with.

Back from the range.  I used Edgecrusher's method: cleaned after each of the first 3 rounds then shot a group of 5 followed by a cleaning.  Then ran the rest of the mag. The sad part is that I only got to run one mag through the thing today before running out of daylight.  I spent most of my range time fiddling with getting the Aimpoint on my 5.56 AR sighted in.  Bummed about it now since I'd rather be back out there messing with the big dog. 

The scope I have mounted on it is hideously cheap but I got it sorta sighted in during my break-in process.  It won't matter much since that thing won't be staying on it.  I'll be in the market for some better glass.

Here's the beast at the range.

06CE3C2E-52C2-463D-810A-E00A2D345346-3754-000005D728D59541.jpg

Nothing to see here but here's a group fired during the break-in\sight-in process.

2BF60C85-1ABF-456B-97AE-76539EB4D703-3754-000005D9C878C702.jpg

I can envision a nice Harris Bi-pod on this bad boy.

Ron

I'd like to figure out a way to mount a bipod on it.  I still need to figure out what handguard it will end up with and go from there.  I may also go with a gas block that has a rail on the bottom side.

I took it back out today and tried some long range stuff.  I managed to knock down a few of the 500 yd silhouettes before the $25 mount holding the $65 scope was rattling around so much I didn't think it was worth wasting the ammo.  Though it doesn't have many round though it, I've had no feeding or ejection issues.  The factory mags work fine.  I really, really like this rifle!

Just gotta get serious about putting a decent optic\mount on it.