• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

never saw one of these before

That looks like a good idea, wish they made one for the large platform receiver extension.

Only question that comes to mind, isn't the thread for the barrel extension right hand, just like the muzzle thread? Not sure if it should be a concern, but if you were using the device to remove a stubborn muzzle brake, I'm thinking that you could theoretically break the barrel extension free. I'm thinking that for tightening or removing stuck muzzle devices, a set of soft jaws on the end of the barrel, near the muzzle device, might be a better option?

I wasn't aware of that. So, the barrel pin hole  is drilled through the extension and into the barrel thread eh? That means that if you apply force to the barrel by way of trying to unscrew the muzzle device, while holding the extension with the tool, if the brake doesn't want to give, all of your pressure is applied to the pin. Probably not a problem, and certainly better than holding the upper in a vice block and having the pressure thats applied to the pin by way of the barrel, bearing against the side of the pin slot in the aluminum upper. Probably not a problem, but I would still be more inclined to want to use soft jaws around the barrel near the muzzle device, if that were possible. I guess if your trying to remove a stubbron muzzle device and don't want to remove a full length hand guard, using the tool would be a better option to the upper vise block.

The barrel index pin doesn't go into the barrel - or, it shouldn't.  It doesn't touch the barrel, and is only drilled into the extension itself.  It's only there to index the barrel assembly into the upper.  The barrel extension is torqued on the barrel at 180lb/ft, so if you've got a muzzle device that's torqued on the barrel beyond that, then it's already stripped it's threads on the barrel, or the muzzle device.

The only way I can imagine breaking the barrel free from it's extension is by trying to unscrew a muzzle device that's been pinned/welded, or by breaking free a barrel extension that wasn't properly torqued in the first place.

The only way I can imagine breaking the barrel free from it's extension is by trying to unscrew a muzzle device that's been pinned/welded, or by breaking free a barrel extension that wasn't properly torqued in the first place.

I thought I'd seen somewhere that, in a pinch, pins for permanently pinned muzzle attachments would shear if someone really pushed the issue.

Jon