• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CMMG/DPMS Oracle with Troy TRX and Aimpoint T-1

IMG-20121219-00215_zps905efd8d.jpg

Finally scrounged enough parts to get this together and I have yet to shoot it but I am hopeful.

DPMS Oracle Upper

CMMG Billet Lower

Troy TRX Extreme 308 12.6

YHM Lo-Pro Gas Block

Heavy Buffer

Springco Orange Recoil Spring

Colt Carbine Buffer Tube/Stock

DPMS Trigger(Bill Springfield Trigger Job)

KAC 200-600M BUIS

Aimpoint T1 w/ Factory QD Mount

I am still looking at grips, stocks, muzzle devices and a KAC front BUIS but the recent idiocy is requiring that I spend my build money on a backstock of 308 Pmags.

Any suggestions from those of you who have built similar rifles?

I

I am thinking that my next purchases  will be..

BCM Gunfighter Grip Mo 0

BCM-GFG-MOD-0-FDE_1.jpg

SOG 5/8x24 Flash Hider

ImageHandler.ashx?ImageName=101351_81529771-8739-45c1-b563-6c22dcdf7050invalid&Thumbnail=true&MaxWidth=300&MaxHeight=300

Syrac Adjustable Gas Block

72512124150_SyracGasBlock.JPG

JP Enhanced Bolt

jp-enhanced-bolt.jpg

VLTOR iMod Buttstock(Milspec/Colt)

vltor%20imod.jpg

KAC Micro BUIS(Front)

KAC-25654.gif

Rainier Raptor 7.62 Charging Handle

Rainier-Arms-RAPTOR-7.62-2.jpg

LaRue SPR-E Scope Mount(30mm)

p4224559.jpg

SWFA SS 10x42 "fixed" DMR Scope

ss1042-1.jpg

Larue Offset Mount(for T1 Aimpoint)

Micro1.jpg

Noveske TRX Bipod/Sling Stud

NVTRX-SS.jpg

I already own the Harris Bipod and the Aimpoint T1 for this project but if anyone has an opinions/experiences on my other selections I would like to know about them.

I'm sure at least one guy here has a decent muzzle device he might be willing to part with.

I have two extra BCM pistol grips. A Mod-0 and a Mod-1. Neither were ever used. One is BLK and the other is FG.

I live in a desert, do you think the BCM grips will hold paint when I Krylon this rifle to a nice dusky desert brown?

You need to consider the intent of the BCM grips, first.  Modern military weapons handling, moving rapidly, and more important than not - arms in close to the sides, to they don't get shot.

Moving your arms in close to your sides changes your grip angle.  This grip benefits that.

Are you doing that?...  Do you need that?...

There are lots of option out there, but you need to determine what you need, in order to determine what you need to buy. 

You need to consider the intent of the BCM grips, first.  Modern military weapons handling, moving rapidly, and more important than not - arms in close to the sides, to they don't get shot.

Moving your arms in close to your sides changes your grip angle.  This grip benefits that.

Are you doing that?...  Do you need that?...

There are lots of option out there, but you need to determine what you need, in order to determine what you need to buy.

That is precisely what I need. I have always run my ARs NTCH and my wrist had been killing me since 1989!

Doesn't matter where your nose is - where is your firing elbow?  Where is your firing arm?  Why is your firing arm where it is, when you fire?  Is it from necessity (wearing body armor, must protect arms and keep them in)?...

Another thing - why do you need a JP Enhanced bolt?  What is your bolt not doing, that you need it to do, and that the JP does?  save the money, and buy ammo.

Doesn't matter where your nose is - where is your firing elbow?  Where is your firing arm?  Why is your firing arm where it is, when you fire?  Is it from necessity (wearing body armor, must protect arms and keep them in)?...

Another thing - why do you need a JP Enhanced bolt?  What is your bolt not doing, that you need it to do, and that the JP does?  save the money, and buy ammo.

Shooting:

I was shooting with my elbows tucked and my nose to the charging handle before cellphones existed. No need to teach a weasel how to suck eggs ;)

JP Bolt:

However on the JP Bolt issue I will admit that I just don't like the way the DPMS bolt scuffs/chips the corners of the lugs from just a few sessions of racking the bolt and I imagine that it has to do with the 8620 steel it's made from and that if I bought a bolt made from tougher steel then it's just one less thing I need to worry about down the road.

What I would really like to find is an extractor that was less likely to crap out than the usual DPMS type. I have thought about having my extractors magnetic particle inspected by a buddy who does NDT work for power plants..

Ammo:

I have a stockpile of Port, Hirtenberger, SA and LC Ball that I acquired in the days when MBR ammo was still $.13 per round. If I shot 500 rounds per month until Ragnarok I would still have enough LC Ball to shoot every Jötunn in Niflheim.

Shooting:

I was shooting with my elbows tucked and my nose to the charging handle before cellphones existed. No need to teach a weasel how to suck eggs ;)

Not trying to teach anything - trying to find out if you have a shooting style that would make that grip angle beneficial, or not.  Sounds like you'll like it - enjoy.  <thumbsup>

• 1 month later...