• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

D.I. vs Gas Piston

BLKSHEEP

I've got 3 different 1:8 twist barrels, all of them stainless, and from Wilson Arms.  The 16" works best (only talking about accuracy testing here) with 68 or 69 grain OTM projectiles.  The 18" doesn't care if it's shooting 68/69 or 75/77gr projectiles - it loves them both.  The 20" is the same way, but my best results from it are Hornady 75gr HPBT Match projectiles.  It shoots those better than it shoots 77gr Mk 262 ammo. 

You'll have to test it out, but the best accuracy for you will probable be the 68/69 grain stuff on that 14.5 incher. 

Militarily, the M4A1 with the heavy barrel and a 1:7 twist loves the hell out of Mk262 77gr ammo. That's damn near a match made in heaven, right there. 

I would like at a minimum 1/2-1 inch moa if I could get better that would be great.

That'll all come down to the barrel, primarily - haven't seen a single bad thing out there about the Voodoo barrels, so it should be a good one for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gas pistons are heavy and effect accuracy. There's little if any way around weight. The only proven solution to accuracy that I know of is the system Addax tactical invented for their high quality but short lived ZK which uses a short stroke style system that has a greatly extended but softened stroke (in other words, a short stroke system that reaps all the benefits of a long stroke) with an action delay which all come together to not only make the gun as or more reliable then an AK47 but make the recoil every bit as soft and clean as any DI system. I myself have an Addax ZK and have compared it to DI AR15s and it not only shoots smoother but hits much more accurately. In fact, in one instance my Addax ZK out shot a Bushmaster M4 with an Eotech holo sight and Federal ammo at 100 yards with Wolf Ammo and a cheap chinese scope on my AR. It's AMAZING how many problems the Addax ZK solved with so few changes from a traditional short stroke gas system. It's too bad the ZK production ceased so early.

I HEARD that they sold the ZK system to some company who now produces it in greater numbers. The Adam Arms system looks very similar but the pictures and animations I am seeing suggest it has half as much stroke as the ZK or even less which is critical to the ZK's unique performance. On top of solving all those problems Addax Tactical's guns are made to perfection with perfect tollerances, metals and finishes all the way around. It seams like the perfect gas piston AR very briefly popped it's head up and then disappeared forever. I sure hope they start making it again but it's unlikely. A statement by the company's owner indicates that not just the ZK but gas piston ARs in general are not worth the head ache to the company. Pretty sad.

Edited by MaDuce

This group was shot at 100yards with my PWS Piston setup. It used to be a 300blk mk116 but I had Randall @ ar15barrels swap it over to a 14.7in centurion 556 barrel.

Aimpoint pro for the optic.

I was aiming left of my paper target intentionally on the cardboard and was just keeping the dot inline beside the bullseye as best I could. This was the result. 55gr bullet. It does even better w the 62gr federal fusion stuff.

To me this shows what a piston gun is capable of. I bet it will do better with magnified optics and if all goes well it will soon have just that, right after I can crap out a golden egg and pay for a USO 1-8x red dot for my 308.

Edit: not sure why the picture flipped but the group is to the left of the target. Target was a 25yard NRA pistol target.

post-14098-0-54568200-1411504006_thumb.j

Edited by Boerboel guy

Damn! That really sucks and at that price point is totally unacceptable.

Anyone know of any one else making a 1-6x or 1-8x with illuminated dot of some sort that isn't a pile of crap?

Leupy Mark 8

March also makes an illuminated variant of the March-F I got, however the reticle is a bit thick for precision work IMO.

Damn! That really sucks and at that price point is totally unacceptable.

Anyone know of any one else making a 1-6x or 1-8x with illuminated dot of some sort that isn't a pile of crap?

Take a look at this one before you pay double the $$

http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-5x24-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P49447.aspx

http://bearingarms.com/weaver-tactical-1-5x24-scope-with-cirt-reticle-short-fast-or-long-accurate/