• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ejector problem

I have a DPMS LR 308 with a 18" bull barrel. I was at the range today and noticed what looked like some sort of gun part lying on the bench. Long story short. It was my ejector from the bolt. I pulled the bolt assembly out and noticed the roll pin that holds the ejector in the bolt was half way out and the ejector came out. Then the ejector spring fell out when I was looking at the bolt to see what was going on. I was able to remove the roll pin by hand. WTF? I only have like twenty rounds threw the rifle so far. Got back home and I was able to push the roll pin threw the bolt with very little effort. Looked on line and the pictures for the ejector make me think I mite have a ar 15 ejector in the bolt. The ejector I have doesnt look like the one on the midwayusa web site, it looks like the ar 15 ejector. I expanded the roll pin a bit and installed it. Just so you know I'm a rookie with dpms stuff. Oh ya and this is my first semi auto rifle. Have lots hunting rifles so semi auto is new ground for me. I have installed a few triggers in my hunting rifles before so Ive done a little bit of gun smithing but not much. Anybody come across this before. Going to call DPMS in the morning.

Scotty

I'm having a hard time getting this one into my head, brother - welcome to the board, by the way.  <thumbsup>

If the bolt is in the bolt carrier, then both the ejector roll pin and the extractor pin are inside the carrier - thus, unable to go one way or the other, and come out. 

Can you post some pics of your bolt face, with the ejector back in the bolt now?  That would help, greatly. 

So only the extractor pin is covered by the carrier when bolt is rotated into carrier. The hole for the roll pin thats holds the extractor is not. Should have taken a picture of ejector when I had it out but I didnt. Callled dpms today and they are going to send me a new ejector and roll pin. I dont know maby the roll pin wasnt installed all the way. I pretty sure it has the wrong ejector for it. The guy at dpms said their picture on their web site is correct and my ejector doesnt look like that one.

No the ejector wasnt broken. Its the roll pin that came with rifle. So what I did was I use a exacto knife and expanded the roll pin and re-installed it. It had some "force" after that. Brfore it would just push right threw with very little force. So either the roll pin is or was to small or not the right one. Or the hole in the bolt is not machined right. Maby it wasnt installed all the way in.  When the new roll pin and ejector comes I'll install them and run and see what happens. Well at least Im geting to know all the names of the rifle parts.

Had the same problem with that pin on my gun.  Luckily before the first fire I took the whole gun down to oil it up good and learn the parts and figured that it wasnt right and did the same thing you did.  I expanded the roll pin slightly and put it back in and havent had any problems so far....u live n u learn

Once is an "assembly problem."  Two different reports of it makes it "a pattern."

Others should definitely be on the lookout for this issue - because, with two, it's now an issue.  That poop needs to be fixed at the factory, with a quickness.

There's no such thing as "coincidence."  Some assembler needs to get their head out of their ass.

Or, start looking for a cheaper apartment.

i'm a newbie here and this is my first post.  I was reading through and couldn't believe that 2 others had the same problem I had with my ejector.  I was at the range a couple of weeks ago and after firing about 8 round from this brand new lr-308, the shells stopped ejecting.  I pulled and lock the charging handle to the rear, dropped the magazine, and "plink" the ejector rolled on to the ground.  when I removed the bolt, the roll pin was about halfway out as well.  I got it back home and put it back together. Hopefully this won't happen again. This is the second problem i've had with this rifle.  The first problem was a broken firing pin retaining pin......but that is another story for another time.  I will say that when I called DPMS they were more than happy to make everything right. 

It's the same sized pin in the 308s and the AR-15s, so it should have a length of 0.437" and a diameter of 0.062". 

If it IS that size, then the hole is drilled too large.  Time to look for the next size up on roll pins.