• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Now to settle in for the wait...

44Dave

CNC or manual?

I had a Smithy Granite.  And a slew of old books.  It would hold to 0.001" if you took your time.

Talking with users of cheap Chinese mini machine tools, those will do the same (when talking to a competent machinist).  You have to remember your rules for cutting direction and backlash.

My HOA was on my ASS about stuff, so I sold it (should have enclosed it).  Dude I sold it to for what I had in it, made all his money back with the first job.

The smaller CNC mini-mills, like Taig, will do some kick-ass work for you!  While it isn't a Haas or Fadal that can hog off 1/2" passes in aluminum and changes tools automatically, it is certainly faster than manual.

Jon

Ha, I can't afford the smallest CNC mill.  I'm looking at the cheapest that Harbor Freight has to offer.  It's not the highest quality, but I'm not looking to do anything too demanding with it.  It looks like they would be more than capable of doing this 80% stuff; I'm just trying to decide if I really want to do any other milling around the farm with it.  There's been a few times when I wished I had one but I don't know if I really need it. 

But maybe if I had it I could have a new hobby.  Because, you know, I don't spend enough on my other hobbies and I got all this cash I gots to get rid of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...