• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blimps Off The Border

planeflyer21

And into D.C.

http://news.yahoo.com/blimps-bolster-washingtons-air-shield-test-204629886--finance.html

Typical press release blather but why do those in Washington feel the need to boost air defenses there, NOW?  While removing them from the border.

From the comments below the article:  "Obama is a genius. We sell Egypt some of our best jets. Then we protect ourselves with the Hindenburg. Brilliant."

Jon

So they're going back to WWII tech?!?!

Very much not WWII technology.  1980s is more like it.

Aerostats originated as part of the "War on Drugs", more commonly called "radar ballons".  These were placed along the mountainous and canyon laden Southern U.S. border with Mexico, in an attempt to alleviate drug trafficking via small airplanes.  Radar coverage prior to that was geared towards monitoring commercial traffic at cruising altitudes or incoming bomber flights/ICBMs.

As Tom pointed out, when the wind kicks up the balloons come down.  And the drug flights go up.

Cool trivia, the barrage balloons over Great Britain in WWII were flown to different altitudes and had cables suspended from them.  Aircraft flying into the cables would be shredded.  The concentrations of the balloons made a sort of aerial minefield.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_balloons

Those would probably be more affordable and keep more people employed than high-tech aerostats.

Jon

Very much not WWII technology.  1980s is more like it.

Aerostats originated as part of the "War on Drugs", more commonly called "radar ballons".  These were placed along the mountainous and canyon laden Southern U.S. border with Mexico, in an attempt to alleviate drug trafficking via small airplanes.  Radar coverage prior to that was geared towards monitoring commercial traffic at cruising altitudes or incoming bomber flights/ICBMs.

As Tom pointed out, when the wind kicks up the balloons come down.  And the drug flights go up.

Cool trivia, the barrage balloons over Great Britain in WWII were flown to different altitudes and had cables suspended from them.  Aircraft flying into the cables would be shredded.  The concentrations of the balloons made a sort of aerial minefield.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_balloonsThose would probably be more affordable and keep more people employed than high-tech aerostats.

Jon

thats what came to mind when i saw the story..........

We have one here too, about 10 miles south of town. I have a buddy that travels around troubleshooting them. He was over in Tom's neck of the woods a couple of years ago when that one crashed and sent me some pretty cool pics of the debris. The equipment pod landed in a guy's back yard and he didn't know what the hell it was. I told my buddy "I would've hauled that poop in my garage and ebayed it!"  <lmao> <laughs>