• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CNBC PRESENTS “REMINGTON UNDER FIRE: A CNBC INVESTIGATION”

By: Jennifer Dauble

CNBC ORIGINAL TAKES VIEWERS INSIDE A 10-MONTH INVESTIGATION OF THE WORLD’S MOST POPULAR HUNTING RIFLE AND EXAMINES WHETHER A COMPANY HAS GONE TOO FAR IN PROTECTING ITS SIGNATURE PRODUCT

One-Hour Documentary Reported by CNBC’s Senior Correspondent Scott Cohn to Premiere on CNBC on Wednesday, October 20th at 9PM ET/PT

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., October 11, 2010—The Remington Model 700-series rifle —with more than five million sold—is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits alleging that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing accidentally. Remington insists its rifle is safe, trusted, and reliable, though a trail of death and serious injury dating back decades has prompted critics to ask whether this iconic American company has compromised safety in the name of profits, and gone too far in trying to protect its signature product. CNBC, First in Business Worldwide, takes viewers inside its 10-month investigation.

On Wednesday, October 20th at 9PM ET/PT, CNBC presents, “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,” reported by award-winning Senior Correspondent Scott Cohn. This CNBC Original documentary examines allegations that the Remington Model 700- series hunting rifle is prone to firing without pulling the trigger, and that its manufacturer, Remington, has been aware of this concern for almost 60 years. Dozens of deaths, scores of injuries, and more than a thousand customer complaints have been linked to the alleged problem. The story is told through former corporate insiders and the company’s own internal documents. Cohn speaks to several gun owners who suffered devastating consequences as a result of the 700-series rifle, including Rich Barber, a father who has devoted his life to finding answers about the tragic death of his nine-year-old son.

The CNBC investigation took Cohn from Florida to Alaska; along the way, he uncovered the existence of thousands of complaints and more than 75 lawsuits, all involving inadvertent discharges of the rifle. Cohn spoke with dozens of avid hunters and gun owners, as well as police snipers and military personnel, who say they’ve experienced this problem—the very problem Rich Barber says resulted in the death of his young son. Remington has consistently maintained that the deaths, injuries, and inadvertent discharges involving its bolt-action 700-series rifles have been the result of poor maintenance, unsafe handling, or improper modification of the trigger by the customer.

Nearly four of every ten bolt-action rifles sold is a Remington, and sales of the 700- series have brought the company hundreds of millions over the last six decades. CNBC tracks down 98-year-old Mike Walker, the Remington engineer who designed the trigger for the Remington 700. For the first time, Walker tells his story. Walker’s internal company memos, obtained by CNBC, indicate that he repeatedly raised concerns, even after he retired from Remington, about the trigger system he designed. Other concerns were raised as well, including one from a Remington colleague who warned in a memo, “this situation can be very dangerous.” Walker proposed a relatively inexpensive solution, though Remington has never recalled the rifle, and insists it has no defect.

CNBC’s investigation found that Remington considered a “call back” of the 700 rifle, but decided against it. No one can order a gun manufacturer to recall a firearm; while federal regulators can order the recall of most consumer products – food, medicine, and even air rifles and crossbows – they do not have authority to impose a firearm recall. That leaves the responsibility for manufacturing and marketing a safe gun in the hands of individual companies like Remington.

Remington has responded to the numerous first-hand accounts of accidental firings by maintaining they are the result of poor maintenance and unsafe handling, often by inexperienced users. Remington officials declined to speak to CNBC for this documentary, instead offering comments in writing. Cohn speaks with a former Remington employee whose job involved dealing with customer complaints related to the 700-series rifle. He tells CNBC he was instructed not to acknowledge to these customers any problem with the rifle, and says if he had, he would have lost his job.

For more information including web extras and extended video clips, log onto Remington.cnbc.com.

Mitch Weitzner is the Senior Executive Producer of “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation.” Jeff Pohlman is the Senior Producer. Ray Borelli is the Vice President of Strategic Research, Scheduling and Long Form Programming.

CNBC’s “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation” will re-air on Wednesday, October 20th at 10PM ET/PT, Sunday, October 24th at 10PM ET, Thursday, October 28th at 8PM ET and 12AM ET, and Sunday, October 31st at 1AM ET.

I own 3 and have to say have been nothing but pleased with all three strait out of the box and hate to say but have even dropped one onto concrete loaded and had not had a problem. I do know I was strongly cautioned by a dozen gun shop owners never to mess with the trigger on the 700 rifles for the fear of accidental discharge, I always saw merit in that unless I knew exactly what to do but also thought the urgency of the warnings was also somewhat swayed by their trying to drum up business.

I was an FFL class three & one dealer for over twenty years and never heard of a problem with them . I can't count how many I sold to satisfied customers.

Seems like the anti gunners will resort to any thing to put down the firearm manufactures.

Now doesn't George Soros (or what ever that POS name is )own that network , ummmm?

Another thing is , they are taking a lot of what past employee's say out of context, like "this could be dangerous " , that could mean any thing . Such sensationalism is what the ENTERTAINMENT industry is all about .

I do feel for the father ,but think his grief is being used by the anti gunners ,as usual.

Note ; did it say the fathers young son, where was the father when this happened ?

i have owned 3 700's.trigger jobs on all and never had a problem.hate to admit i also had a few dropps through the years with no firing until the trigger was pulled.i believe that youngster should have had a adult with him.its sad thew.i think the anti gun duch bags will try to attack all the firearm company's that produce american made product.

It's the same ol' same ol', just a different day for the same tactics;

Appeal to the anti-gun nuts, or sway the neutral by presenting a nice sob story with mis-represented information. After all, what the American people see on the news JUST CAN'T BE WRONG......

There's a lot that could be said here, but I'll stick with just saying it makes me sick to see what power and greed have done to the principles on which this country was founded...

I have formed a rather bad opinion of Remington since they released their crappy "R-1" 1911. I've seen about 20 if them for sale since they came out and everyone of them has that lousy, ill-fit grip safety with the "ledge" sticking out at the top of the grip. I have disassembled/inspected several of them and I don't see any reason to buy one of these "R-1's" over a lower price Rock Island, American Classic or most of the other lower priced 1911's.

They also made them with WWII style safeties and slide stops which I'm sure they bought by the ton and then slapped together a bunch of parts, then put their name on it. Also the finish is marginal, and there are several other manufacturers who put together a much better pistol for a few hundred less dollars too. 

The R-1 is a "hack job" 1911; Remington's attempt to make a profit on an overpriced pistol without putting the quality into it that they should. They are trading on their name and it has been embarrassed with this "ham handed" foray into the 1911 market.

I don't know about their rifles, but because of the "R-1" I will never buy a Remington "anything" again.

• 3 weeks later...

i finally caught this the other night.it kind of makes me think ,what if.i did not know that remington was owned by a conglomerate and how many other of the firearm companies they own.next thing the will all be moved to some factory in japan.

Cerberus.