• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New lever gun!

Robocop1051

I recently acquired a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. This thing is a real beauty and super fun to shoot. The previous owner swore it shot for shit, and I got it for a steal!

I got her out to the range and found that she grouped really nice, but the sights were just WAY off. I had a tight pattern about 8" low at 50 yards, even with the rear sight adjusted all the way down.

Looks like its time for some custom work! I'm thinking some fiber optic sights, a longer magazine tube (I'm a Winchester man at heart), and likely a more comfortable lever. I was going to get the action polished up a bit, but I think I'll just wait to see how the break-in phase goes. She's tight, but workable.

My cell is taking horrible pics, so here's one I stole online.

1895gs.jpg

How many types of ammo were you shooting?  All, and I mean ALL, of my Marlins greatly shift POI from one load to another.  Same bullet weight, same primer, different powder loads but about the same velocity in my .357 can shift 4"-5".

The Skinner peep sights are very popular.  So are the Williams.  HiViz makes many, and so does XS Sights.

Slicking up a Marlin leveraction is WAY simpler than a Winchester.  If you're interested in tackling it, check out MarlinOwners gunsmithing threads.  You'll soon be addicted.

And no matter what, under NO circumstances whatsoever, are you to go here: http://www.treebonecarving.com/id9.html

and start perusing those custom hardwood stocks.

Jon

I was checking on those Williams sights. Pretty hot stuff. I joined MO yesterday to get an idea of what's out there.

I was planning on sticking to 300-350 projectiles.

I'm not excited as I was when I started this venture. I was hoping for a rifle as reliable as my Browning .44 mag

Maybe even threading the barrel for a GIANT .45 cal brake.

I have to do it, because I'm jealous, and want a lever gun pretty damn bad.  But...

:wwop:

...of that brake! 

^^^ He's just sayin'...  <laughs> <lmao>

<lmao>   :909:

You know Robo...a 1oz slug out of a 12ga is 437.5 grains.  That 45-70 you can get factory loads considerably heavier than that, cast even heavier.  And that Marlin will handle SAAMI +P loads also.

Jon

I saw that a standard factory load was 405gr. I figured i could go hotter. im very impressed with that. The primary reason for owning this rifle, was to have something to take to Alaska.

I was planning on going lighter (300gr-325gr) for some CA hunting. There's nothing out here big enough to warrant a 400+ gr projectile. Even when I pig hunt, I shoot 210's out of my .44mag lever.

I'm still trying to talk myself out of a scout rail and a MRD mounted on top.

I saw that a standard factory load was 405gr. I figured i could go hotter. im very impressed with that. The primary reason for owning this rifle, was to have something to take to Alaska.

There's a dude on MO that did a Bruin hunt in Kamchatka, Russia, with his GG!  It's been at least 2, maybe even 4 years since he posted about his trip.

Said the guide and the other hunters were mocking his "tiny rifle" with the "obsolete cartridge".  Don't remember what round he used but it was one of the +P factory loads.  Everyone else had a scoped, belted magnum bolt-rifle.

Him and his GG were the only ones to drop a bear DRT with the first shot.

Said the guide was truly impressed after that.   <thumbsup>

Jon

I have a Win M94 Trapper carbine in .45 colt and one in .44 mag. First guns I ever bought years ago. They are lots of fun. I load/shoot Hornady FTX bullets .225 grain each of them. Those are some dang cool bullets. I do XTP's also.

The sights really suck. I've wanted some Wilson's for some time now but money has been going into the LR-308 stuff. But lately I wonder if some kind of red dot thing would be better for me & my 51 year old eyes?

Back then I payed about $275 for each of those guns at Big 5, LoL!