• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New LAR-8 Owner!

Hi all,

I horse traded several years ago for a FAL, had about 300 bucks in it.  Threw it in the back of the closet, at the time I was building and playing with pistol-caliber AR-15's.  Last month, I got it out, bought a DSA scope mount, put a decent scope on it, and.....couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.  Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a good shot, although it runs in the family (of course, Daddy hit New Guinnea, Uncle Allen hit Iwo Jima, Uncle Henry and Uncle Aubrey hit France, but I guess they had no choice but learn how to shoot good). Last time Dad shot a gun, he was 81, dropped two deer with two shots out of the window of his truck with a clapped out 30-30.....Anyway, I couldn't hit a 10" gong at 100 yards with the FAL after 40+ rounds, took off the scope mount and tried 30 more with iron sights, didn't hit the gong once.

I took it by the local gun store, when the owner saw it, he started drooling and said he would really like to trade for it, even after I told him something was wrong with it.  He told me to pick out something and he would make me the deal of the century.  The FAL was the only 308 I had, so I thought I would get another.  Besides a couple of G3's, he had two new LAR-8's, Picked up the Standard A4.  We traded with me only having to give him a little pocket change!!!!!

Took it home, put a Redfield Battlezone on in Leupold high rings. Boresighted, looked pretty damn close with no adjustments.  Went back to the same 100 yard gong, 20 out of 20 hit the gong, never touched the scope!  All grouped within a few inches on the bottom half of the gong.  Scope could stand to be about a 1/2" taller,

THIS THING ROCKS!!!!

The only thing that sucks is that I didn't know it used FAL mags....gave the guy all my mags when we traded......

No s h i t  see if you can get a couple back.There a few sites where you can pick some up RRA has the poly's for $25.00,and others have then for $19.00.You still won like a big dog brother.

No s h i t  see if you can get a couple back.There a few sites where you can pick some up RRA has the poly's for $25.00,and others have then for $19.00.You still won like a big dog brother.

Already ordered and recieved a handful of steel 20's... and one 30 for shits and giggles....

You got steel 30s? I have been looking for those! Can't find a single one for a fair price anywhere near me; but yeah, welcome to the LAR-8 club! I had the same experience with my first A2 LAR-8 w/ iron sights.; didnt even touch them and killed a Monster energy can at about 50 yds (hunting club grounds, didn't really measure). I aboslutely love my LAR-8, it is a good buy and totally worth it.

Edited by OFP2651