• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LAR8EO My New Toy

GS455

Well I once saw it written in another forum something to the effect of:

"I tell my wife our rifles are like Barbie Dolls.  We take em out, we dress em up and play with them"  

Just picked up my LAR8EO and I just had to put it toghether and put some cloths on her. 

LAR8_InCase_zpse10fd15b.jpg

LAR8_Lower_zpsfa8dfd01.jpg

LAR8_UpperLowerMag_zpse4162006.jpg

LAR8_Right_zpse94aa21f.jpg

I snatched the ACOG off my FAL.  Boy oh boy.  I wish I could afford another right now.  Now I'm torn between which rifle it should live on.  The LAR8EO or my custom Argy FAL

DSCN5238a_zpsd88c4b2b.jpg

I have a folding Troy Rear Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) BattleSight  on order.

I must say I am fairly unimpressed with the (supposed) two-stage trigger.  Initial travel is smooth to the 1st stage but after you hit that it feels like i'm pulling into an ever tesnsion-increasing spring and there is no clean 2nd stage break when the hammer lets go.  It kinda lets go in the middle of firm mush. 

The RRA Thermold mag feels like crap and, of course, doesn't release.  I understand you are supposed to file  it somewhere and I will look into that but I have plenty of FAL mags .  The Mag release is fairly stiff and takes a fair amount of pressure but the FAL mag does drop.  Both my ARs release mags much more smoothly.

The barrel has a lot of light scuffs all over it that could not easily rub out with a rag.  I'll scuff it up anyway just figured it would come clean out of the box.

Obviously I need to get her out to the range and feed her plenty of milsurp to break her in and reserve further commentary. 

Any advice before I light her up for the first time aside from a bunch of CLP on the bolt?

What do you think of the new handguard?  I actually like the older one better.

I've only seen pictures of the old one but I actually think I like this one better.  Seems leaner.  And I don't need all that picatinny.  Maybe just the small one under the front so I can try a bipod on it.

Any thoughts of comments on the trigger?

Well I still havn't recieved my EO yet, but I shot my father in laws and it has a nice clean trigger pull. I have heard a few other complaints though, but rarely. There always could be the bad apple in the bunch.

Mag release will loosen up over time. Thermold mags are what you get for the money. Never had any issues...I have ran mine several time through other peoples LAR's with no issues. You will need to file the tab on the front of the mag...dont go over board...small amounts at a time. I knew someone that filed it down at the range, and it seemed to hold. Well once he got up to shoot and pressed it into his shoulder the mag shifted and dropped out because he got a little zealous with his file. After that you should have no problems with them dropping. And as far as the scuffs...I blame the cheap blue case. They dont fit super snug and the peices somewhat move around during shipment.