• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Short 308 barrels

Airborne89

I'm looking for a short 308 barrel for a MA-Ten build in DPMS format. I'm having trouble finding any, I've seen them in photos, but not for sale.

Does anyone know who has them?

I'm looking for one that's 14 inch to have a Vortex pined and weld to make it 16 inch....

I think Noveske made a 13.7" N6/Leonidas barrel. I know that PWS made a 14.5" barrel.

Finding ANYTHING now days is hit or miss.

Just a heads up, the .308 really likes barrels greater than 15.5". The cartridge requires at least that much to get a complete burn. You lose a significant amount of barrel pressure for every inch below that. Instead of a "vortex", I'd look at a KX3 or Diablo hider... Something that'll add some back pressure to your barrel and assist with the cycling.

I think Noveske made a 13.7" N6/Leonidas barrel. I know that PWS made a 14.5" barrel.

Finding ANYTHING now days is hit or miss.

Just a heads up, the .308 really likes barrels greater than 15.5". The cartridge requires at least that much to get a complete burn. You lose a significant amount of barrel pressure for every inch below that. Instead of a "vortex", I'd look at a KX3 or Diablo hider... Something that'll add some back pressure to your barrel and assist with the cycling.

Thanks for the input on the burn time, I'm still looking into what I'm going to do. I am looking to go with the shortest / lightest without a SBR stamp.

I know Noveske barrels can be used with the DPMS setup, and I can check the headspace, but has anyone had one fail to headspace with a DPMS bolt?

Noveske is Armalite spec. It won't line up correctly with DPMS

^^^^ this is true, and a DPMS bolt won't work.

Their web doesn't have them listed, that I can find. How do you like yours?

I like it. With a heavy buffer it shoots nice, and with a red dot I am a 2moa shooter at 100 on average.