• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shooting malfunction

daniela3790

I am trying to find out what may have happened on my recent Deer hunting trip. I was hunting in the evening with my RRA .308 rifle, two deer had came withing 20 yds of my treestand. I took my rifle off safety, aimed and pulled trigger only to hear "click". The rifle didn't fire. I had noticed another deer behind my stand, I maneuvered in position to shoot that deer, I aimed the rifle, pulled the trigger and the rifle wouldn't fire for a second time.  After the second misfire, the deer moved on out of the area, I packed up and went home without a deer. Later on, I had tried to fire the gun and after a third bullet was chambered, misfired and ejected, the fourth bullet fired. From then on I didn't have a problem shooting the rifle, I emptied the magazine and everything was fine. Looking at the misfired bullets, I noticed the primer hadn't even been touched by the firing pin. I'm thinking the ejector had somehow jammed and kept the action from fully closing home. The day before the hunt, I had tested the rifle to see if it was still on target, I had shot one shot and it was right on the money at 100 yds. Has anyone else had a related incident?

• 11 months later...