• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Two questions about Fulton Armory/Criterion 16" Ultralight barrel

michael1778

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading over this site off and on, for a few days, and hope some of you can give your thoughts on my first questions for the forum.

I'm very interested in a build that would have a 16" light weight barrel.  I've come across this one over at FA:  http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined-1.aspx

I'm primarily a 3-gun user, so my build idea (in my head and on a couple sheets of paper) would need to be relatively light weight.  Rifle gas is perferred, so this item checks off two important design requirements.

Question 1 covers my biggest concern:  Can this barrel hold its point of impact during a 3-gun stage with some sustained semi-auto fire? That might be 30-40 shots over a 45-80 second stage, for example.

Question 2 is gas system related:  Would a Syrac adjustable gas block be acceptable in your opinion for this barrel, gas port size, and gas length?  I prefer them on my .223 ARs and would use them again.

Thank you in advance for your feedback on these items.  I look forward to being part of a vibrant online community here.

-- Mike

I absolutely love the FA .308 barrel selection.

For 3-gun, your accuracy should be fine. The barrel will get warm and lose MOA accuracy. I've never seen a run-n-gun that needed better than minute of man. You should still be under 4MOA at 100 yards. That'll keep you on steel to 300 yards.

As for an adjustable block.... The rifle length gas might be the absolute (or damn near close to) minimum gas already needed. I feel that if you put an adjustable block on, you'd just leave it full/open all the time. A heavy buffer or carrier weight might work out better if you're just trying to soften the impact.

Also, to add speed and ease to your shooting... The BattleComp BABC, the BAD Inc short throw selector and a MechArmor "TacOps-1" charging handle (check out our group buy) are all perfect accessories for what you're looking for.

Thank you very much for the confirmation and suggestions. I look forward to more.

My worry was a stage with 5 or 10 short range targets at speed and then maybe 3 much longer ranged targets (200-400 yards).  Our match designer works that way.....

I was planning on a JP LMOS carrier and bolt assembly along with the JP captured spring system.  I'm copying what I do in my 223 ARs with considering those.

You expressed the same concern I had about the gas block.  Not knowing the gas port size compared to other barrels I didn't know if I'd have ot set it at (or very near) full open or not.

I suppose I'll make a thread on my complete build idea in the appropriate forum in the next couple of days.  Then you guys can critique it.

Edited by michael1778

If you do build around the JP LMOS, get the adj GB. The system was designed to work together.

I don't think any FA barrel can get hot enough in semi auto to become inaccurate at medium distance. If you were trying to shoot 600+ with a hot LW 16", I'd say GOOD LUCK. Anything shy of that should be fine.

I deeply appreciate the advice.  And yes, I don't think I'd be doing over 500 yards with this gun.  I'd likely have a new upper made with a longer and different profile barrel for that.  SI has upper halves for individual sale so I could do that in the future.  Thinking SI for the receiver set based on price, weight, and positive reviews.

With Larue's over a year wait and the JP being a bit heavier and pricier than I want, the collection of parts for later assembly is making more sense day by day.  Have great respect and admiration for the work from both of those makers, but ouch!!

Edited by michael1778

I believe my FA 16" barrel with full length gas system has plenty of gas to play with . We are talking about a 308 .

You will want to run an adj. gas block , as said , with the LMOS BCG . I'm not a fan of weight reduction in the BCG , but if using a LMOS BCG , an adj. gas block will let you tune it the way you want .

I believe my FA 16" barrel with full length gas system has plenty of gas to play with . We are talking about a 308 .

You will want to run an adj. gas block , as said , with the LMOS BCG . I'm not a fan of weight reduction in the BCG , but if using a LMOS BCG , an adj. gas block will let you tune it the way you want .

Any problems or concerns with muzzle device attachment on such a skinny barrel?  I've never used one this thin.

Have you seen performance or reliability problems with reduced weight bolt carriers?

I looked really hard at that barrel. Ended up with a RA select. the weight difference was small. Either is probably more accurate than I am. My other 308 was a rifle length and wouldn't cycle wolf or my crappy surplus while the new gun eats it like candy. On top of all that...it was on sale and saved me over $100.

I looked really hard at that barrel. Ended up with a RA select. the weight difference was small. Either is probably more accurate than I am. My other 308 was a rifle length and wouldn't cycle wolf or my crappy surplus while the new gun eats it like candy. On top of all that...it was on sale and saved me over $100.

yeah, my rainier select is better than I am too. or better than my $75 Chinese scope and me put together :D

Any problems or concerns with muzzle device attachment on such a skinny barrel?  I've never used one this thin.

Have you seen performance or reliability problems with reduced weight bolt carriers?

I don't think the 308 barrel will be all that skinny to have a problem with a muzzle device, but ya never know . Some one here must have one of those barrels & can say .

The light weight BCG set ups, can, have problems with bolt bounce, if not tuned properly ( Heavy Buffer/spring & or an adj. gas block)

If there is one place not to lose weight IMO is the BCG. I like the weight for proper inertia for feeding . Buffer & spring can always be set up for recoil buffering , not to mention lock time . 

Competition guns of course are different , I can understand chopping weight off of them any where you can . That's whats good about the AR platform, many ways to tune it .

I definitely see this as a competition gun.  I've been very fortunate to find a local gunsmith that I think can handle most anything I would imagine having to throw his way.  So, I'm less worried about that.  He can make modifications I could never hope to do.

Still leaves me with lingering worries about barrel heating.  That and the money to get this project going.....