• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help Choosing Important Quality Parts

D.R.D.

All of you have been very helpful and generous with your knowledge and info.  I'm clear that the Barrel and trigger are the two places not to skimp when building a longer-range precision machine.  Now that I've got a better idea what direction I need to head in, I'm curious about the true performance comparison of a few parts.

To start, I've got a SI-Defense lower.  Go to go as I understand it.  Maybe not a Mega, but I have yet to understand the difference.  So, to complete the receiver parts, do I get an SI Defense upper to match (even though it won't be a true 'matched set')? or do I go with the cheaper assembled DPMS upper?  Bottom line: will it truly have any affect on performance, accuracy or durability?

A) Si Defense Upper               $325

or

B ) DPMS Assembled upper     $190

The same question goes for the BCG.  Does getting a SI Defense BCG make a difference in a SI Defense Upper?  Or is it all about having a gunsmith mate the BCG to the barrel?  Again will any combination really make a difference in performance or reliability? 

C) Si Defense               $305

or

D) Anderson Machine   $205

As for Triggers, I'm gonna go Geissele.  Either SSA-E, SD-E, or Hi-Speed DMR.  I need to get my hands on them to feel which one I like best.

Lastly, is the barrel.  There are just so many choices, and every manufacturer seems to have a reason why theirs is best.  Do I go budget (yet quality), or save forever for a big name, or...how do I figure out what will be the "best bang for the buck" barrel?

E) Bison Armory 20" SPR SS  / SI-Defense SASS / Nemo Arms     $225 / 237 / 277

or

F) BHW / Rainier / FA / Criterion / Krieger / Bartlien    $325 and up, up, up...

Thanks as always for your help and insights...the research part is fun too!  Not as fun as shooting, but still entertaining 

;-)

DRD

Edited by D.R.D.

To start, I've got a SI-Defense lower.  Go to go as I understand it.  Maybe not a Mega, but I have yet to understand the difference.  So, to complete the receiver parts, do I get an SI Defense upper to match (even though it won't be a true 'matched set')? or do I go with the cheaper assembled DPMS upper?  Bottom line: will it truly have any affect on performance, accuracy or durability?

A) Si Defense Upper               $325

or

B ) DPMS Assembled upper     $190

The upper and lower don't have to match. You'll be fine with the DPMS upper.

The same question goes for the BCG.  Does getting a SI Defense BCG make a difference in a SI Defense Upper?  Or is it all about having a gunsmith mate the BCG to the barrel?  Again will any combination really make a difference in performance or reliability? 

C) Si Defense               $305

or

D) Anderson Machine   $205

BCGs are agnostic to uppers, however the bolt should be matched/headspaced to the barrel. You'll need a set of gauges, or take your rifle to a gunsmith to check if the headspacing is within tolerance.

As for Triggers, I'm gonna go Geissele.  Either SSA-E, SD-E, or Hi-Speed DMR.  I need to get my hands on them to feel which one I like best.

SSA-E and SD-E are very similar. They have the same pull weight, but the only difference is the curved vs flat trigger. If you find yourself trying to grab your standard trigger at various heights (instead of the apex of the curvature) you'll probably want the SD-E. The HS-DMR is a whole other thing since you can adjust the pull of it. Personally, I use the SD-E on my rifles.

Lastly, is the barrel.  There are just so many choices, and every manufacturer seems to have a reason why theirs is best.  Do I go budget (yet quality), or save forever for a big name, or...how do I figure out what will be the "best bang for the buck" barrel?

E) Bison Armory 20" SPR SS  / SI-Defense SASS / Nemo Arms     $225 / 237 / 277

or

F) BHW / Rainier / FA / Criterion / Krieger / Bartlien    $325 and up, up, up...

The barrel should be based off of your needs. Will this be a benchrest/prone rifle always supported such that the weight of a heavy profile and longer barrel aren't a concern, or will you be shooting this standing unsupported as well? Also figure out what you want to achieve with the barrel accuracy-wise and set a budget limit.

Edited by FaRKle!

The SI Defense will have the original rail height & the DPMS will have the new lower height rail & that may impact if you want a free float hand guard , if that is what you plan on using.

Seems there are finally options on BCG's . Shadow Ops has a nice NIB coated one .

I'm A Fulton Armory fan as far as there Kreiger Criterion bbl's , my 20" HB is a tac driver.There are many good ones in your list.

One thing to look at with barrels, is the way they are manufactured. (Point cut vs. button) Also, take reputation and reviews into consideration. You couldn't go wrong with something like a Krieger for instance, but only you can determine do you want to shoot lighter bullets through a lighter twist or heavier bullets through a heavier twist, and so forth.

Thanks - great input all.  To answer some questions:

-This will be for anwhere from 100 to 1000+ yards,  So, heavier: 168 / 175 / 178 gr.

-Mainly prone or supported shooting.  I don't envision shooting off-hand with it much.  I may make another upper for that.

-Why not a complete rifle?  $$$  on hand.  I'm budgeting by purchasing pieces of the best quality for the lowest price, then assembling once I've got everything.

-No plans on having this done this year.  I'm currently collecting parts for 6 different rifle builds right now (My lightweight AR15 is in the lead ;-)

Will this 15" match the height of the DPMS upper?  http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1209

Has anyone mated an SI-Defense Lower with that DPMS assembled upper?  Do they fit without any play?  Is that something a gunsmith could easily address?

Thanks again,

DRD