• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stripped 308 receiver weights

ci11

Hello,

I joined the forum because I'm contemplating a lightweight 308 AR build, potentially as an SBR.

My first question is: does anyone have a listing of actual weights for available stripped 308 uppers and lowers, in both AR10 and DPMS patterns? It seems more barrel makers know this sensitivity and publish their weights than upper and lower makers.

It would be very helpful in deciding which one to go with as many websites do not show this information. I look forward to your replies.

Thanks.

c

SI Defense used to claim being the lightest on the market, but that was their Gen1 model. They are on Gen3 now. One would assume each generation was lighter than the precious, but their Gen2 was a boat anchor.

Take it for what it's worth, MAG Tactical advised they have plans to release a magnesium 7.62 lower receiver next year. Mg is about 30% lighter than Al. I have their 5.56 lower, and it's pretty ridiculous light. I'm holding out for their upper before I complete that build.

This time of the year is always the hardest to start. The best sales are happening and shelves are full... but on the flip side, all the companies are holding their new products for the SHOT Show in January. Tough decision... buy now or hold out for the next item.... assuming the laws/market doesn't change during the wait time.

Edited by Robocop1051

Thank you both for the welcome and the observation about decisions around this time of the year.

Mag would be great but Mag Tactical had promised a 7.62 set in mag would be next originally in 2012 and given the fluid political situation, it's a wonder whether they will take the plunge. It's not smart to hope for vaporware to materialize.

I originally thought a MATEN was probably the best bet, even though it weighs in at 30 oz for the set. Then I read posts on this forum that the SI came in at about 24 oz for the set, but still seems to be having quality problems - missed machined boss and poor fit. BRO is too tacticool for my tastes and AR10B seems to have lots of followers but no comparisons between its fit or weight, and I worry about AR10B's ultimate demise as DPMS patterns take over.

So what to do?

Edited by ci11

Important note about magnesium.

Magnesium alloys are known to form microcracks over time, especially in high-stress situations. The pro race teams that I used to work with typically used ultralight magnesium wheels for about 5000 miles and then toss them out for recycling because of this.

Just putting this out there. Not sure how much mileage you'd get out of magnesium receivers but I'd be weary.

....and I'd love to see a magnesium upper burn. WOOT!

Important note about magnesium.

Magnesium alloys are known to form microcracks over time, especially in high-stress situations. The pro race teams that I used to work with typically used ultralight magnesium wheels for about 5000 miles and then toss them out for recycling because of this.

Just putting this out there. Not sure how much mileage you'd get out of magnesium receivers but I'd be weary.

....and I'd love to see a magnesium upper burn. WOOT!

I hear ya. Thanks for chiming in.

My Gen1 SI-D is spot on accurate and tight as a drum. I don't know where you read about "quality problems" but they don't exist on my side.

I saw this here:

But back to my original questions, I am still wondering if anyone has weighed them all and can share what they found.

Thanks again.

Don't know if matters any and will only give you one weight; however, I have a stripped LR308 lower in the closet I can throw on a scale to get it started if you want.  Let me know, maybe with all the different models owned throughout the board we can put a collective list together <shrugs>

Great! Thank you, Sir. That's what I am hoping for. I look forward to it. And a picture of it on the scale would be even better!

I also have a DPMS lower ,but its complete with all but a stock & I have a Tactical Machining , striped 308 upper I can weigh.

Great - once I start receiving entries, I will update the first post. It would be great if we can get as granular as possible. Comments would be good too, e.g. walls too thin, walls takedown pin hole tight, etc.

Thanks again!