• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CMMG LPK issues

BRD51

I installed a CMMG lower parts kit without fire control group in my DPMS lower. I took it to the range and found that the bolt catch would not release by pressing on it to allow the bolt to go forward. I had to pull back on the charging handle to release the bolt to chamber a round. Upon inspection, the bolt catch wobbles side to side, almost like the bolt catch screw is undersized. Either that or the hole in the bolt catch is oversized! The bolt catch will not move when the bolt is locked to the rear unless back pressure is applied to the charging handle. I have not yet removed the bolt catch screw to inspect the screw and/or hole size. Any thoughts on this before I do that? I have blue lock title on the screw which is why I am hesitant to remove the screw.

Option A: Upgrade to the Phase5 bolt catch. I use this one on a SI-D .308

Option B: Upgrade to an Armalite bolt catch. It's a little less expensive than Op. A but still A+ quality.

Both options include getting rid of the CMMG part. Don't even bother trying to salvage the part. CMMG parts aren't usually worth the effort you need to put into them.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but 2/3 of the problems I read about here start with, "I installed a CMMG 《insert part here》and now my rifle doesn't work."

Edited by Robocop1051

I have had two DPMS bolt catch screws crack on me, the bolt catches were also loose.

I'm not sure using loc tite on that screw is a good idea. Hard place to work with , if it won't break free . If you are concerned about it backing out , just use a little on the end of the screw after you have installed it . That way if need be , it can be removed where you can see it . Heat always helps if you have problems with it .

Edited by survivalshop