• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Black Hole Weaponry barrels - do we like them?

44Dave

My rainier's select 18" barrel(BHW) does real well for its price. It shoots sub moa at 100m with a variety of different loads. My favorite load consists of a 125g sierra pro hunter projectile on top of 44gr of IMR3031. Those little bastards are traveling around 3100fps( per manual, no chrono yet) and my best 3 round group was a hair under .5". I threw together some plinking ammo the other day consisting of m80(147 gr) pull downs and IMR4064  and achieved moa groups, was banging steel mostly with that load. 

George, can you give details of your build with the BHW barrel?

IMAG0483_zpsfa0470e9.jpg

parts as follows.

Rainiers arms 18" 308 barrel, dpms patterned extension

Dpms bolt carrier group w/ bolt

Daniel defense low gas block

sjc titan compensator 

mega arms maten 308 receivers(matched set),

Geissele SD-E trigger

Jp enterprise 15.5" forearm With top rail

a2 stock/extension, recently purchased a magpul moe rifle stock in foliage green.

armalite 5.3oz rifle buffer for ar10, I switched the buffer weights out with 5 tungsten weights making my own heavy buffer.

ar10 buffer spring (armalite)

Tango down Battle grip bg17

Swfa 12x scope w/ larue lt158 mount

Hope this helps.

Thanks blue, you still runnin that dynacomp on your build? I always ran single stage milspec triggers(usually with JP ent. reduced springs) with my AR-patterned rifles, I couldn't believe the difference when I dropped the coin on this SD-E. This trigger feels like she's breaking in nicely too, my groups definitely improved with the SD-E installed.

EasyEJL,

That's awesome!  I'd be curious to find out what the muzzle speed is on your 20".  Ever take it out further?

DRD

no, my primary range only goes to 100. It sucks, a bunch of friends went to the only range in Florida that goes out to 1000, but I couldn't make it that day. eventually i'll hit that one up, at least on the 400 yard range.

I do plan to buy a chronograph eventually too since I am starting reloading the rifle cartridges. up till now I've only reloaded for pistol.