• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

im New, and i already need alot of help...

beachmaster

Alright here we go.

NCM_0303_zps197df028.jpg

It looks like the buffer tube needs one more turn, but I want to make sure before I tighten anything down.

NCM_0304_zps3c2120c6.jpg

You can see here that the damage done by the original owner was from the detent scraping the tube.

NCM_0302_zpsdbd1c010.jpg

Its a crappy picture, but it looks like the original spring was slightly longer. The original buffer, to me, felt slightly lighter (although it was not measured, and my wife said the opposite)

The original builder did not have the washer between the lower receiver and the castle nut installed.

The new buffer has the moving weights in it, whereas the old one didn't.

NCM_0301_zpse16a3478.jpg

The new detent spring is slightly shorter than the one used by the original builder.

I used shotgun choke lube on the threads, and nothing has been tightened yet. Now im just waiting to hear from yall about what I need to fix! Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beach I think you got er done!....as long as the detent is captured dont screw the tube in any more...looks good from here.....you are on the right path by getting a new tube ...buffer and spring

wet her down a lil....do lockback function....if gtg then ill bet she shoots great :) Wash

#1.  See if you can take that receiver extension in one more turn. Might make it, might not.

#2.  I hope that's a buffer retaining pin spring.  It's not a takedown or pivot pin spring.  There is no detent spring in these.

Edited by 98Z5V

At this point, I should probably move my questions to a different section of the forum, but you already know where this thread is, and what issues I am working with, so until told otherwise, ill continue using this thread.

My problems have not been resolved. I tried to screw my buffer tube into the receiver one more turn, but it is not possible with the buffer retaining pin. This is I believe what caused the other dude issues. I bubba'd my extra buffer retaining pin by grinding it down with my dremmel (better than just forcing it like im thinking the last guy did), but I decided to go back to the original position. Only problem, I didn't have a castle nut wrench. (One is now on the way) well my problem is back.

NCM_0313_zps77acd241.jpg

I guess I should say it never went away.

The guy who build the rifle before me didn't have the little washer between the castle nut and the receiver that keeps the assembly straight up and down. To take the old buffer tube assembly off, I simply pushed the retainer pin down, and twisted it off.

Now that I have the washer in, and a wrench on the way from brownells, do you think I could cure this problem by simply properly tightening the castle nut?

Could the damage be caused by the buffer tube moving slightly right and left, causing it to be mis aligned to the bcg?

Or do I need to turn it one more time? And how would I get it to make that last turn if I do?

It looks to me like cmmg doesn't drill the hole for the buffer retaining pin deep enough, so that the pin will not compress deep enough to allow the final turn of the tube.

If i keep having issues... I think ill just get a rifle buffer assembly and an ace stock.

I'm cornfused brother.I think the buffer tube goes on the same sa on a 15.back off the castle nut,screw in buffer tube till it touches buffer retaining pin and back off so pin moves up and down without binding.Then rotate back plate to hold rear take down pin spring in said hole with detent in front of spring.This also has a notch that aligns buffer tube so the stock adj. holes are @ 6:00 position.Then tighten nut.If nut doesn't move far enough forward to tighten aganist plate,then the threads are scarred [ easy to do since it aluminum].If you have something thin enough you might be able to chase the thread.If it is really smashed you might need a new tube.This all relative to collapsable stock setup.The retaining plate I have is from a 15,if it's the same for a .308 you can have it.I would think if you had to you could duct tape castle nut,put a rag on a pair of channel locks and snug it up. <dontknow>

At this point, I should probably move my questions to a different section of the forum, but you already know where this thread is, and what issues I am working with, so until told otherwise, ill continue using this thread.

My problems have not been resolved. I tried to screw my buffer tube into the receiver one more turn, but it is not possible with the buffer retaining pin.

On the receiver extensions with the cutout for the retaining pin, you gotta depress the retaining pin to go that extra turn, so it doesn't hit the pin whilst turning.  Did you do that when you attempted to give it one more turn?  If not, give it a try - it looks like it might go that extra turn, just never can tell until you try it. 

Just wondering...

I depressed it ALL the way when trying to get it to rotate one more turn, and the pin still sticks up too far to be able to rotate it.

I saw the problem originally when I found a random buffer tube retaining pin laying in the gun. It was bent. The original owner forced the tube to rotate, even though the pin was too high, gauging the buffer tube, and bending the retaining pin. Then he replaced the pin. The damage was obvious.

Since I am having the same issue, I tried instead to grind down the pin. I decided I didn't want to bubba it, so I didn't go the one turn further.

Instead of grinding the top of the receiver retaining pin, maybe I should grind down the bottom of the retaining pin, so it can depress further. What do you think?

Before you cut on anything, just removed the receiver extension, remove the pin, remove the spring.

Drop the pin in it's hole by itself, and see if it'll go all the way down.  It should.  If it doesn't, there's an issue in that hole somewhere; a burr or something...

P.S.  If there IS a burr in that hole, and you force that pin down in there, you might not get it out - even with pliers.  Just go easy. 

So, I checked it out... there are no burrs, or problems of any sort with the hole... except that is it too shallow. I just stuck the spring in, and measured the length with it vs the retaining pin, and the hole is simply too shallow. So I took a silver sharpie and made a sharpie width line around the bottom of the retaining pin, and dremmeled it off.

At this point, I realise what I am doing is unacceptable. In my defense, its better than what the original owner did.

Anyways, it just BARELY fit now, and I cant see how it will have any affect on the function of the rifle (compared to one with a proper depth hole and retaining pin)

I dont like brand snobbery... especially when I read peoples opinions on firearms they have never owned or held.

That being said, I more clearly understand a few peoples negative sentiment towards cmmg, and i now share that sentiment.

Now I will wait for the wrench to come into properly torque this castle nut down, and i will install my wolff extra power hammer spring.

Until then, all my moving parts minus extractor and firing pin await in an oil bath.

Cant wait to update yall on how things go.

Correct me where needed.

So, I checked it out... there are no burrs, or problems of any sort with the hole... except that is it too shallow. I just stuck the spring in, and measured the length with it vs the retaining pin, and the hole is simply too shallow. So I took a silver sharpie and made a sharpie width line around the bottom of the retaining pin, and dremmeled it off.

At this point, I realise what I am doing is unacceptable. In my defense, its better than what the original owner did.

Anyways, it just BARELY fit now, and I cant see how it will have any affect on the function of the rifle (compared to one with a proper depth hole and retaining pin)

I dont like brand snobbery... especially when I read peoples opinions on firearms they have never owned or held.

That being said, I more clearly understand a few peoples negative sentiment towards cmmg, and i now share that sentiment.

Now I will wait for the wrench to come into properly torque this castle nut down, and i will install my wolff extra power hammer spring.

Until then, all my moving parts minus extractor and firing pin await in an oil bath.

Cant wait to update yall on how things go.

Correct me where needed.

With regard to your way of thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. No need to correct an opinion that directly reflects your own experience and way of thinking brother, we're all individuals with our own personality, it is what it is. I think your fix was pretty creative actually, if it takes your weapon from a less than desirable standpoint to one where you can personally rely on it, nobody needs more than that. I can't stand brand snobbery either, but I've learned from my own experience why reputation is the vitality of a brand, and why the associated costs are usually worth it. The reputation that CMMG has had in our forums comes from the standpoint of the purchaser having to make it functional, vs. the out of the box functionality that the majority of other manufacturers have had. Collectively, most of our rifles have seen some kind of evolution from purchase to final product. That transformation typically comes with it's own learning curve that can teach you more about the platform than you might have ever known just buying something out of the box and shooting it. Keep us posted on your progress brother, sounds like you've got a pretty good plan together.

Yall have been incredibly helpful. I got my parts in today, tightened the castle nut, took my parts out of there oil bath, put the badger ordnance extended lever on the charging handle (I highly recommend it), and decided to put it on armslist to see if there was any interest in it.

I sold it an hour later and ordered a gii :-)

The Lord knew the desires of my heart and made it happen. It was amazing.

Edited by beachmaster

Mine is great after I figured out a few bugs:

1) I purchase a Geissele G2S trigger that had to be modified by Geissele to work. When I tried to pull the charging handle back the trigger would hang up on the BCG. No problem with factory trigger or the SSA that Geissele gave me.

2) I bought a Mil-Comm Three-Step Gun Care Kit/NRA Licensed Gun Care System when I picked it up at the dealer and found out that it does not like the TW25 Gun Grease on the bolt locking lugs. When I used it on the lugs, chambered a round and fired the round would eject and the next round would be partially put into battery. I could not use the forward assist or the charging handle normally to move the round. I had to beat the charging handle back to remove the round. I finally cleaned the bolt really good and used liberal amounts of Rem Oil and haven't had anymore issues.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it and killed two deer with it.

I am a firm believer that no matter the cost experience is priceless. The person who bought that will either fix it by problem shooting the issues or just buy a new lower and switching out parts. I  doubt that the upper had any issues with it. Now you know to open the rifle up and if you see red neck engineering run. You are also now a little bit more understanding of how the 308 AR platform is put together. That being said I am going to stick my hand out on the last part of my post and if it gets slapped, well I'm a big boy lol.

I am not a brand name guy,however having shot,owned or used various wepaon systems I have seen what works and what holds up and what doesn't.  You will find out that you get what you pay for and to buy once cry once especially on optics. Only your higher end i.e. Leupold, Trijicon,NightForce,Priemer,Schmit&Bender ect. will hold a good amount of thier value used. CMMG has had some QC issues, but will take care of the issue as long as someone didn't monkey with it before returning it.

You will also see that some of the stuff is high dollar, yes the qulaity is good but the name or logo is going to make you pay. Kinda like my Harley on my pic here, anything that says Harley Davidson on it cost more lol. Some of those companies albiet have rock solid product, i.e. Knights Armament, Larue, Noveske, they have a following and people willing to spend that kind of money. You will also see that there are other manaufactures that put out quality stuff and its not an egregious price, DPMS which includes Bushmaster and Remington .308 ARs, Armalite, Gerogia Arms Precision, Mega Arms, Ranier Amrs, JP Enterprises is a littler more pricey but like GAP custom stuff and good stuff. These are just a few brands that come to mind and there are a few other good ones out there.

My first .308 AR was a DPMS LR 308 B with a 24" stainless bull barrel. The SOB was heavy and one hell of a shooter. It was a .5 MOA rifle at 100 yds proned 3 shot group using a Harris Bi-pod with phoneix tactical pod claws, Triad Tactical rear wedge bag and 168 FGMM. I sold it to a close friend because I couldn't use the DPMS for work. I ended up with a Remy 700 LTR in a AICS Chassis System with a Badger Ord. Bolt lift and Night Force mount, rings and 3.5-15x50 NXS. I tore my knee all to hell and no more SWAT so I took my bi-pod and Night Force and sold the bolt gun. I now have and refuse to part with my Armalite Super SASS.

I appologize for going off topic here, point is plenty of good decently priced stuff out there it just depends on what you want and can or will pay for it. If your new come here first and ask before spending the money, there is a good group of guys on here all of them and will help if you ask. Especially me while I am recovering from knee surgery for the next 6 weeks lol. I have nothing better to do than get fat and happy just to work it off later lol. 

Edited by Zebra644

Good luck with the knee brother.The rehab sucks.Just get pilled up and go for it. <thumbsup>

What Rene said....he had knee replacement and im coming to my years anniversary of both knees replaced

if you aint crying and cussin during rehab you aint doing enough....here's my info on rehab...if they say gimme 5 on anything like bending or whatever give em 10...just double what they ask you to do...your in pain anyway...so might as well achieve something

I was climbing a ladder 30 days out....still in pain,but the knee's would do anything I asked of em.... get well soon!

:)  Wash