• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CFE PISTOL

seasprite

Found out that Hodgdon has a new powder for pistols out and I would like to give it try but still have 2.5 lbs of Unique to use up for my .45 and 9 mm first but still might grab a pound to build some hunting rounds 1911. I found the info in Hodgdon 2014 reloading manual. post-12828-0-68991100-1390106921_thumb.j

I highlighted the 200 gr lswc load because I use this the most in my 1911 and with Unique I'm only able to get 955 fps and this is showing over 1100 fps which means it should make a great hunting load for the 1911. post-12828-0-89744400-1390107055_thumb.j 

As far as the burn rate goes its a lot slower than Unique which they list at 31 on their chart and CFE Pistol at 44 

post-12828-0-99320700-1390106990_thumb.j

http://www.hodgdon.com/images/CFE%20Pistol.jpg

So if any of you score some of this before I do be sure to do a write up on it so we know how you like or dislike it  <thumbsup>

Oh bro…don't let powder possession stop you from purchasing more powder!

That's like saying "Nice AR thanks, but I have one already."

You know bro if I come across a pound of this powder I'm picking it up its just what are the chances of coming across any powder right now let alone a new one with the speeds like there claiming.

You know bro if I come across a pound of this powder I'm picking it up its just what are the chances of coming across any powder right now let alone a new one with the speeds like there claiming.

I hear ya on this ill put in a order at my lgs for this powder. My be a year before I get it. But I usally get some. Still waiting and 8lbs of varget and H1000. The guy I go through was telling me for ammo and powder its starting to look worse then last year. just his two cents.

Hodgdon Main office is about 30min away I may have to make a special trip and see if they'll let me score a pound to try.

​Shibiwan let me know what weight and profile your running on your 9mm and I'll tell you what Hodgdon has listed in there manual.

Good luck Montana, hopefully you'll  score fairly quick and let us know how performs. <thumbsup> 

• 2 months later...

Oh holy crap I just looked at this thread, I didn't know about this powder.

I gotta try it for my 45 Colt, which is a 1894 Winchester lever action, my first gun I ever had.

This one I load Hornady 225 gn (225?) .452 FTX's with H110 or Alliant... Eh, crap fkn memory again...

Anyway my 16" Win I've clocked well over 1500 fps with the FTX's. The gun handles it no problem at all, it's strong. Wow CFE pistol, fkn cool!! Thanks, Robert!!

Alliant 1200 is that it? Yeah I think it is.

Edit: nope it's Alliant 2400. And WTF Midway ain't got dick for powder, is it worse now than it was last year? Not that I buy powder online anyway, what are the stores on the street like these days?

Edited by NoFail

• 4 months later...