• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oracle Stock Question

Greetings from southern Missouri. Great board, guys, learning alot here.

Been a fan of the .308 for 25 years, and just bought my first AR, a DPMS Oracle. The budget for this defense/hunting rig is $1700, including optics, spare mags, sling, and cleaning gear (chamber/lug stuff). Thinking either a Leupy FX-II 4x33 or Burris AR-332 3x Prism. Leaning toward the Burris because it looks better for close quarters work and is illuminated, but is also etched, so will work sans battery if necessary, and should still give me minute of deer/hog/asshat out to 400 yards. Both run around $300.

So that leaves me $300-400 for tweaks. First up is a Bill Springfield trigger job. Then I want to do a KISS free-float alumium handguard and some kind of rubberized grip, and a KISS fixed buttstock, preferably aluminum (hate the adjustable rattle, and might need to bash a skull--you never know).

Which brings me to my question:

Looking hard at the ACE skeleton stock, on sale at Midway. Will this match up with the buffer/spring/tube the stock Pardus uses or do I have to buy those too (A1/A2)?

Need feedback on this because the sale at Midway ends tomorrow, so I'd like to backorder now and save the $15. That's most of a Magpul magazine. Or a twelve-pack of decent beer, whichever comes first.

Any help is appreciated.

Shaun

The ace will require a new rifle length extension, and the 308 rifle length buffer/spring. Great stock though.

Some of the newer stocks, like the magpul with friction locks, can be very solid and will work with your existing tube. I like fixed stocks though, so I understand going that route.

Id recommend a magpul MOE+ rubberized grip. I swapped them onto all of my rifles after trying one.

Edited by blue109

I recommend you check out the Burris 1-4x28 scope. Great ILLUMINATED FFP scope for under $300 that works great for CQB and mid-range use.

I like the friction-lock Magpuls on my adjustable stock. I prefer going with an ACS just because I can stash tools etc in it. If you can get an MOE+ grip, that's a good value for a nice grip.For longer range work I got the PRS on my 308.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. Went ahead and backordered the ARFX, and grabbed an extension tube, buffer and spring.

Should be a nice upgade for $100.

I like the specs on that Bushnell, Shibiwan, except for the 17.3 oz weight. Add mounts and its getting prety hefty. Trying to keep it under a pound all up. The new Primary Arms PAC 2.5X Compact Prism popped up on my radar while researching the Burris AR-332, and looks promising. Very similar, sleeker, better reticle, and less money. Might just go that route.

Anyway, that trigger group ain't gonna pull and mail itself...

Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. Went ahead and backordered the ARFX, and grabbed an extension tube, buffer and spring.

Should be a nice upgade for $100.

I like the specs on that Bushnell, Shibiwan, except for the 17.3 oz weight. Add mounts and its getting prety hefty. Trying to keep it under a pound all up. The new Primary Arms PAC 2.5X Compact Prism popped up on my radar while researching the Burris AR-332, and looks promising. Very similar, sleeker, better reticle, and less money. Might just go that route.

Anyway, that trigger group ain't gonna pull and mail itself...

....and I thought the crazy bicycle guys were the only weight weenies around....  :D :D :D

Edited by shibiwan

Need feedback on this because the sale at Midway ends tomorrow, so I'd like to backorder now and save the $15. That's most of a Magpul magazine. Or a twelve-pack of decent beer, whichever comes first.

Any help is appreciated.

Shaun

I already like this guy.  He's gonna fit in well here.  Just a guess...  <thumbsup>

I already like this guy.  He's gonna fit in well here.  Just a guess...  <thumbsup>

Hey, I'm a practical guy.

....and I thought the crazy bicycle guys were the only weight weenies around....  :D  :D :D

Ha! I do have a bike. It's an old Raleigh 21 speed mountain job with straight forks and no suspension. I think it's pretty light, but those guys would tell me it weighs a ton.

Still, it's a 16" carbine, so I'm thinking 10 lbs ready to rock is about max.