• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any inshore or offshore guys around?

Sharkey

I've been fishing the Salty waters off RI since my Great Grandfather got me started as a toddler.  I'm 50 now and have owned a few boats (not currently however) and have done fresh water, saltwater "inshore" as in surf-casting for stripers and shoreline fish, and also offshore for sharks and tuna.

Both of my sons, now 8 and 10 and even my wife also fish and my darlin wife even fought a few sharks on our last boat. She's as much into shooting as she is fishing and I am thrilled since I've never done ANY of those things guys do to "get away from the Ole lady" or whatever.  I've got a great girl and we have as much fun at or on the ocean as we do at the range and pretty much anywhere we are.

My sons are the 6th generation of RI fishermen for my family.

Any other Briney types around?

Fish surf and freshwater. Caught a 9 inch (not a keeper) halibut the other day. Off Seal Beach Naval Weapons station hooked a nice Kelp bass. Other than that its surf perch and trout. Usually take the rod and surfboard. Waves suck I fish. Good R&R.

Edited by htbde

We do a lot of night fishing.  Here is my oldest son, (he was 8 at the time) with one of our "usual" catches.  He's a hardcore fisherman all day.  Makes me proud.  We'll canoe inside a breachway, back in the channels and he'll hit em hard all night with me.

post-14569-0-67089100-1392592365_thumb.j

The second one is of a lil shark I yanked in one day...

post-14569-0-53695200-1392592212_thumb.j

Edited by Sharkey

Nice.  I've never been out to do any good salmon fishing although it's on the bucket list.  I LOOOOOVE smoked salmon...

And no, although I've caught 27 makos and 3 threshers, that was just an old photo of a Blue Shark I grabbed for a tourney.  It was 11'10" and over 400lbs.  I brought him in on a 21 foot boat too..  5 hour battle with him on a 50lb test rig...lol   Not exactly the rod I was hoping he'd latch onto but it was a bout to remember at least. 

I hate keeping things I'm not going to eat but I've got a friend with a crap load of dogs and they fed well on Blue Shark all winter long so it didn't go to a total waste.

My son in the photo has either 7 or 8 keeper stripers so that was just one of em.  His biggest is 36 inches but we took last year off of fishing due to me working so much but we're hoping to hit things pretty hard this year if all goes well.  My 8 year old is itchin for some keeper fish too so we'll see.

THAT is a HUGE Bluedog! I did eat a small Blue many moons ago. Tasted like catfood (yes I have eaten that too). Your name fits my friend!

I have never eaten striper before. I have eaten Bluefish though. Ever catch those? Kinda tuna like.

Edited by htbde

Yea.  Bluefish are all over the place around here all summer.  Definitely not tuna like in taste though.  I make a good bluefish soup but that about the only way we eat it.  Striper is good all different kinds of way and I'll make deep fried Striper nuggets for my sons a lot.

Other fish we get are summer and winter flounder and tataug (blackfish) from shore.  

Offshore, when I have a boat, it'll be tuna, makos, threshers, and mahi.  Never been out far enough to get tilefish but it's another bucket lister as is swordfish and marlin...

Once we get back over the top moneywise (I was out of work for a while), we'll start lookin at another boat.  Till then it'll just be stripers and inshore stuff..

There's an old joke about eating bluefish.  You get a bit giant pot and place a smooth rock, (about 3 lbs) in the bottom of it and fill it with water.  Pour in salt and add in a bunch of chunked up bluefish.  Bring it to a boil.

Then you go outside, dump out the water and all of the bluefish and eat the rock.  It'll be the best part of the meal anyway...lol 

If memory serves I recall we soaked the bluefish fillets in milk? Then battered them up. deep fried and with copious amounts of winter outdoor chilled PBR it was awesome. We were mostly westcoast transplants so no idea what we were doing. The flounder were awesome though. Maine lobsta and clams. My mom had a killer new England clam chowder recipe.  We caught all of in the off time and sometimes 'on the job". Yeah blackfish too! White meat good stuff! I remember those. That all was back in the early 80's for me. New London, Ct. I HATE congor eels!

Your bluefish story is like the Lil Caesers pizza joke...throw away the pizza and eat the box.

Yea.  Bluefish are all over the place around here all summer.  Definitely not tuna like in taste though.  I make a good bluefish soup but that about the only way we eat it.  Striper is good all different kinds of way and I'll make deep fried Striper nuggets for my sons a lot.

Other fish we get are summer and winter flounder and tataug (blackfish) from shore.  

Offshore, when I have a boat, it'll be tuna, makos, threshers, and mahi.  Never been out far enough to get tilefish but it's another bucket lister as is swordfish and marlin...

Once we get back over the top moneywise (I was out of work for a while), we'll start lookin at another boat.  Till then it'll just be stripers and inshore stuff..

There's an old joke about eating bluefish.  You get a bit giant pot and place a smooth rock, (about 3 lbs) in the bottom of it and fill it with water.  Pour in salt and add in a bunch of chunked up bluefish.  Bring it to a boil.

Then you go outside, dump out the water and all of the bluefish and eat the rock.  It'll be the best part of the meal anyway...lol

That's similar to the recipe for Eelpout. Clean and butterfly it and stake it to a board. Lean the board up in front of a roaring fire. When the fish is cooked, throw it away and eat the board. Funny thing, Eelpout is a freshwater cod, and actually is quite good. It just looks kind of snakey and slimey. Which is how they got their nickname "Lawyers". With apologies to any members who are also a member of the Bar.

That's similar to the recipe for Eelpout. Clean and butterfly it and stake it to a board. Lean the board up in front of a roaring fire. When the fish is cooked, throw it away and eat the board. Funny thing, Eelpout is a freshwater cod, and actually is quite good. It just looks kind of snakey and slimey. Which is how they got their nickname "Lawyers". With apologies to any members who are also a member of the Bar.

Hahaha never had it but I've heard much about them, we don't have them this far south .

I almost forgot that bluefish "smoked" is awesome.  They always have some down at Champlin's in Galilee and I'll get the peppered smoked bluefish and eat an entire side in like 10 minutes while my wife cringes and picks on me for liking it...lol

You can order seafood directly from them if anyone is interested.  Great place and they deal directly with the boats bringing in fresh fish every day so the freshness is never an issue.

I hope I can post this link to their website.  If not, I apologize in advance if it's an infraction.  I have no affiliation with them other than just having been a customer since I could drive and when it's too cold or rough to go catch my own.  Just thought a few inlander's that like lobster or other salt water fish might want a good connection and this is the best I know of.  It's where we go whenever we want lobster and we live here.

http://champlins.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Made a chowder today and now it's in the fridge for the overnight chill and by tomorrow, I'll be just about busting with goodness...  

4 gallon pot

3 quarts of fresh, chopped clams

10 pounds of golden potatos

3 leaks

1 package of celery

3 spanish onions

3 big blocks of salt pork chunked up, rended and then everything cooked in the juice with half of the chunks left in the chowder and the half eaten as salty little death morsels of happiness and artery clogging goodness...

Chowder for breakfast, then off to church, home for a chowder lunch, movie day with wife and boys, chowder for dinner and then pass out with my clam chowder urge sated for another 6 months...lol

I've got the rest of it all promised to a couple of guys that work at my office so it'll be gone by Monday morning.

My wife had a bowl and said it's my best batch so far but it's never it's best till it has cooled and then gets reheated.  That's when it's kickin...

I also had a nice big slab of peppered smoked bluefish from the fish place today that I ate on the way home after work so it's been a fine day. :))

Yea.  I always make a huge pot cuz I this ain't a one bowl kinda thing.

Oh, and I almost forgot, 2 of those giant cans of clam juice too that you inlanders see at the store and can never quite figure out what the heck anyone would need a can of it for... :))

I am a North Carolina Transplant left there in the early 70's but in the late 60's i worked on the marlin boats out of Nags Head and Va beach Va.... fished offashore almost everyday in the spring and summer and inshore as well and yes I love smoked Bluefish.... but I have surf fished for stripers, albacore, and blues, and wreck fished for taugs, black sea bass which is one of the best fish in the world, of course flounder and croakers and spot , Offshor was mostly maui maui, and yellowfin tuna (my favorite fish to eat) white marlin a few blues and another fun time is amberjack off of wrecks...

Once out west I had withdraws no big fish to catch then i discovered Steelhead and salmon and i have been doing that ever since.... I really miss the blue water....

P>S> almost forgot Wahoo and king mackeral Wahoo is my second best fovorite fish to eat.. and a blast to catch..

Edited by Magwa

Yea.  I always make a huge pot cuz I this ain't a one bowl kinda thing.

Oh, and I almost forgot, 2 of those giant cans of clam juice too that you inlanders see at the store and can never quite figure out what the heck anyone would need a can of it for... :))

Mix it with tomato juice and make bloody's lol

I don't quite make 4 gallons but when I make soup or chili that's how I make it to, big pot eat for a week. Wish I could make chowder I love it but my gf is allergic to fish and everything else..

We got a restaurant here in town that make a killer seafood bisque too