• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS G2 Recon

novamark

I am new here and looking for some help. I love the AR guns and decided to buy one of these new platform guns. I love it being a 308. I did the break in according to DPMS and it didn't like any of the surplus ammo. I tried the Federal gold match 168 and bingo, the gun likes it. I went to the Hodgdon loading manual and started loading for it. I have looked all over the internet and trying to gather information about loading for these guns. I loaded some medium powder loads using the H8208. Backing up a little. Shooting the Federal match, the primers showed a little distortion. With the medium powder loads, there was cratering of the primers. Am I doing something wrong? All help would be appreciated.

IMR8208XBR is not a very good powder for 308's. Also it needs to be pushed towards the upper limit for accuracy. That is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt !

Varget and IMR 4064 are the desired powders for 308 projos from 150 to 180gr..

Read...Read...Read ! Get several manuals. Great info in the reloading section.

Thanks Dane Armory. I am trying to see if I have a gun problem or a bullet load problem. I shot some Federal gold match ammo through the gun(DPMS G2 Recon) and the primers looked ok. Very little distortion. I loaded some Federal cases with a little above medium load and the primers were really cratered. Just to be clear, the loads were 42gr. 8208XBR 175 Sierra hpbt, federal 210 primers. Is this too hot for this gun? Somebody please let me know.

Tested IMR 4064 loads today. 42.5gr, 175gr BTHP (Barnes and Sierra) using Lake City, FGMM and RP Brass. Slightly on the hot side (slightly cratered primers) but grouping was excellent and consistent. Shot one mag of RP175SMK factory for comparison and shot a little worse and low by about 1mil compared to the reloads.

I started loads at 39 gr. ,39.5gr. & last 40 gr. of IMR 4064 & Nosler 175 match bullets , I will have Chrono data Monday. I have six different loads & two different powders.

Noslers load data reads 43 gr. as there max with a 97% fill of case . You had to hear some crunching when seating the bullets . <thumbsup>

Nosler has the 39 gr. as the most accurate , in there tests , with there barrel .

Edited by survivalshop

I just got a chance to get back to the forum. Survival shop, I have been reloading for years. I just got the G2 about 2 months ago. I went through the DPMS break in procedure. First 25 shots, shoot one, clean, shoot one clean. Finally got past that and scoped it and tried to group it. I shot some surplus ammo through it and it did terrible. 4" groups at 100yds. I had my best friend load some rounds for me, he loaded them 1-1.5grains off of max load according to hodgdon. The gun didn't like them and showed pressure on the primers and on the cartridge face. He shot a box of Gold Medal Match 168 through it and it liked it.  I did some lower to medium loads today with H4895 and sierra 168, and 175 bullets 40-41grs H4895 and the gun did awesome. Worse group was 1.5" and the best was just over .5" group 100yds. The velocities for these rounds 2200-2300 fps. My friend likes to get velocity out of his rounds, but with these groups I don't mind the slower velocity. It has a 16" barrel, does 2200-2300fps seem normal for an AR 308 gun?

Thanks for your help in advance. I am new to the 308 AR platform. I love the gun.

It has a 16" barrel, does 2200-2300fps seem normal for an AR 308 gun?

A better question would be "Is 2200-2300fps normal for a .308 cartridge out of a 16" barrel?"  Remember…the rifle is the operating system for the cartridge.

Those veloceties are very acceptable.  If you're getting 1/2" groups out of one of your loadings, stick with it!

Below are some of my hand loads with both the 16" &  20",  Velocity isn't everything . Check the thread in this section , 16" & 20" 308 test load data

Temp. 80 deg.

BARREL          POWDER/CHARGE       AVERAGE VELOCITY         ES              SD            Primer

# 1-  16" bbl. -      40 gr. WC 846                   2351 fps                     18 fps          7 fps            CCI

#2-    16"bbl.  -     40 gr. WC 846                   2368 fps                      44 fps         16 fps          WW

# 3 -  16" bbl.-      42.5 gr. IMR 4064              2476 fps                      46 fps         15 fps          CCI

# 4 -  16 " bbl.-     43.5 gr. IMR 4064              2576 fps                       48 fps         18 fps         WW

# 5-    20 " bbl.-     40 gr. -   WC 846               2473 fps                      38 fps          13 fps         WW

# 6 -   20 " bbl.      42.5 gr. IMR 4064              2606 fps                      19 fps            7 fps         CCI

# 7 -   20 " bbl.       43.5 gr. IMR 4064             2701 fps                       39 fps          16 fps        WW

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen,

I’m a new member with DPMS G2 Recon (16” barrel, 10" twist).

Kindly asking your professional advices.

1)         By any chance, is anyone reloading your cartridges with Vihtavuori 150 powder?

I would like to hear your receipt of the pie :):

My receipt is:

42,3 grains (2,740 grams) of Vihtavuori 150

Cases – Lapua 308 (4PH7217))

Bullet – Sierra Match King 175 grains hpbt

Primers - CCI 200

The powder amount I was advised (not tested myself and please do not advise me to test myself ), so I would like to ask if anyone is making the shells out of the same components but may be with a different weight of Vihtavuori 150 powder? Because I’m not sure the weight of 42,3 grains is the best option (still I do not have reasons not to trust that person who advised me that weight…)

2)         What would be the best bullet for DPMS G2 Recon 16”, 10” twist to shoot a long range?

Thanks in advance for not teaching but giving advices from your experience :)

Edited by Ocean

175 HPBT/VLD Sierra/Berger 71,0 2.795 N140 2,29 35.3 664 2177 2,68 41.4 762 2501
            N150 2,39 36.8 681 2236 2,82 43.5 784 2573
            N540 2,44 37.7 687 2253 2,79 43.1 788 2586
            N550 2,57 39.6 698 2290 2,97 45.8 802 2631

Got this off the Vihtavuori sight & as with any loading , you should start with the low side of loading data & work up to what works best in YOUR rifle . Where someone's loading data may help with a safe load ( or not, max loads seldom work the best  ) your rifle will be different on how it shoots with this powder , with how you want to use it ( range ).

You have to test it , only way to know for sure . What bullet is best for your GII , You have to build a load that works for what you plan on using it for.

Can't argue with the 175 gr, match for long range , just need to find the right Powder ,Primer , Bullet , that your rifle shoots the best with ,Not to mention C.O.L. that will work the best with it , among other things .

Your GII will show cratered Primers , expect it , I believe they made the Firing Pin Hole in the Bolt a little loose & unless they have changed that with newer ones , it will show up in your rifle . Too bad , because its one sign we look for with a high pressure loading .