• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

GDSI To Buy Remington

This isn't good for any body. The company seeking to buy is a developer for "smart gun" technology. Here is some excerpts from the page announcing their system, GDSI Gatekeeper. They're wanting to build a system using RFID and/or GPS to electronically lock and monitor firearms over the internet. It is to be advertised to both Military and Civilians alike.

GDSI Gatekeeper, which combines advanced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology with web-based wireless capabilities, will provide commercial and military customers with three essential safety and security benefits:  

• Encrypted, password-protected, digital, trigger-locking capability;

• Secure, real-time online tracking; and

• Encrypted, cloud-enabled databases.   

“We’re extremely excited about the potential for GDSI Gatekeeper,” said GDSI’s President and CEO Richard J. Sullivan.  “This revolutionary suite of services represents a real breakthrough by leveraging the power of web-based, digital technology to enhance safety and security in the small arms arena, both in the commercial and military sectors.  We think of it as personalized gun control and we believe the accessible worldwide market represents a multibillion dollar opportunity for GDSI.”

According to recent reports from the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), an annual average of nearly 3.5 million firearms were manufactured in the United States over the past eight years.  GDSI Gatekeeper’s encrypted digital locking device could be easily retrofitted into existing firearms or it could be included in the manufacturing process itself.

“Here in the United States, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected and inviolable,” Sullivan added.  “The Gatekeeper program will provide additional safety and security for law-

abiding gun owners in the United States and elsewhere.  We believe Gatekeeper’s secure locking and tracking features could encourage millions of people who might have shied away from keeping firearms in their homes because of safety concerns to reconsider.  And collectors would be able use make use of Gatekeeper’s tracking and database features to exercise greater control over their prized firearms collections.”

Here is the full article: http://www.gdsi.co/page55.html

Also, the goal of the company is to start consolidating as many American gun companies into their control as possible. Freedom Group is just the 1st step in this.

My Concerns:

Since the system operates wirelessly and online, it is open to hacking.

Likewise, it is also open to snooping (NSA)

Such system will quickly be ordered mandatory by gun grabbers, meaning the government could not only track your guns, but remotely disable them BEFORE they come to confiscate them. (no more "cold dead hands" line)

I have many others, but that should be enough to scare all of you into realizing this is bad.

Edited by Guill732

If it is that bad , then don't be a part of it refuse to buy their products send them letters tell them NO no matter what they do it will not effect the guns you have now..... so I say they can go Pi$$ up a rope with their tech BS. I do not own a smart phone and I am about this close to ditching these pc's and get rid of the internet and all the B.S that goes with it .....!

Considering how (un)reliable my internet connection is, why would I want to trust the internet to allow me to fire my weapon? How'd you like to pull the trigger and get a "no route to server" error message instead? It's just one more thing to go wrong at the wrong moment.

And seriously, what makes them think the military wants this tech? Should rifles really be vulnerable to enemy hackers? Do the US armed forces have a gun theft etc. kind of problem?

Check out the officers and directors of the company at http://www.gdsi.co/page10.html

An insurance salesman, some software people... my hoaxmeter was dinging against the peg, but with the crude & clunky website and wacky personnel, these people are just plain nutters with grandiose illusions.

I'm not gonna worry.

Let them "consolidate". There will be more than enough small business that will pop up as the bigger ones get consolidated.

I think I smell some VC's and investment types trying to capitalize on the current arms market prior to 2016; which will lead to a pre-election price escalation like the last round. They're probably thinking that they can make quick profits if that eventuality comes around, and dump it later after acquiring the intellectual property rights that are currently owned by Freedom Group.

Edited by shibiwan

Speaking from a consumer standpoint, would they want a gun that is "keyed" to the person through some form of computer technology? Based on the demographics of gun owners, answer is going to be a resounding "NO!"

They'd be killing the companies while new ones will pop up that caters to the needs of the consumer. Gotta love capitalism.... then again who knows if they'll lobby congress to force the implementation of such features in new firearms. They certainly have the money to hire "good" lobbyists!

Edited by shibiwan

Gotta love capitalism.... then again who knows if they'll lobby congress to force the implementation of such features in new firearms. They certainly have the money to hire "good" lobbyists!

I've been saying this since the Clinton regime.  

Consolidate the major gun makers under corporate umbrellas, give them HUGE military contracts and who gives a shite what the 2nd Amendment says?

"Stop selling firearms commercially and you will get this $500Billion contract for satellites.  Don't stop and we cancel your current contract for cruise missiles."

For those that have seen Waco: Rules of Engagement, this is exactly what the feds did to CBS (via parent company Westinghouse) when 60 Minutes was going to run the piece showing the IR film of FBI agents shooting Branch Davidians, trying to escape the fire.

Think ammo availability sucks now?  Wait until three years after mega-corps quit selling arms and reloading components to civilians, in order to keep their contracts.

Trivia:  How many powder manufacturers supply the total market?

How many primer manufacturers supply the total market?

This is crazy talk the kind that starts hoarding.... lol as if that is not already going on... like 22 LR anyway I also believe if they did all of that someone else will build what is needed no matter what it is powder, bullets etc , but I may be wrong and thinking out my A$$ so keep a eye on it and when ya can tell people who care like we are here.. I am becoming fast a hater of technology!

Look at the events that feed the crazy conspiracy talk.

Bushmaster built good quality AR rifles, so did DPMS, and Remington too.  Freedom Group buys them and quality control is the first penny-pinching project.  We started sending back 870s and M700s on a regular basis not long after Remington was purchased.  Then the reports about DPMS, then Bushmaster was like day and night before and after their purchase.

Same with pre-Remington Marlin rifles.

Not that they don't turn out good stuff but the people that get a crap firearm bitch pretty loudly.

So that turns into "George Soros owns Freedom Group and is intentionally ruining the guns!"  Which turns into "Obama is declaring martial law so he can get a 3rd term!" (the same was said about Bush)

Start hitting yard and estate sales.  These old dudes that are hoarding die and you get to hold up a sealed keg of Varget saying "Will you take $10 for this?"

Wow. 

..." will provide additional safety and security for law-abiding gun owners in the United States and elsewhere." ? Huh? 

When you read BS catch phrases like this, and there is no reasonable statement behind it as to WHY we need to better control/monitor law abiding citizens and their firearms? Killing them softly. Well, that' s an official "boycott Remington" idea if I ever saw one.