• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

colt values?

pokey

I'd like to start by saying it is not my intention to upset or offend anybody. With that said, why are colt values so high compared to other makers.

I know of a Eagle arms and a colt purchased about the same time frame (1989/1991) new. The eagle arms is worth around $400-$500 and the colt according to blue book is worth up to $1750. Both are H-bars and are the same rifle for intensive purposes. Hands down the eagle arms is better in every way except value. Even the colt owner fully agrees.

Here are some advantages of the eagle arms

Better machining (a lot better)

More accurate

More reliable

Less picky on ammo

M16 bolt carrier (instead of half the back being removed and unshrouded fire pin)

.154 fire group pins

pull pins for upper and lower

appears to be fully chrome lined barrel and carrier

Bayonet lug (not real important I know)

Ability to freely change uppers and or lowers

Now advantages of the colt

A2 rear sight (eagle arms has a A1)

A2 flash hider vs A1

Is there really that much in a name or am I missing something. Not saying nobody should own a Colt or they are horrible, but come on. This is not a gripe or rant and please let me know what I'm missing.

Edited by pokey

I have a pre ban Olympic Arms build I put together ( with all there parts except the M16 BCG ,because they only sold AR 15 types ,back then  )in the late 70's & she still is a tac driver .Still has all the same parts except I put a TM flat top upper on it for a scope a year or so ago. 24" SS HB match 1-10 twist.

Wasn't built by them , but it has never had a problem ether . I have worked on a lot of Colts over the years & they do break parts also, just the way it is .

Is there really that much in a name or am I missing something. Not saying nobody should own a Colt or they are horrible, but come on. This is not a gripe or rant and please let me know what I'm missing.

Part of it is the name, the other part of it is the knowns with Colt vs the unknowns with Eagle Arms (which is now Armalite). Everybody knows the materials and QC Colt uses/does, but I couldn't tell you what Eagle Arms' bolt and barrel are made of or what QC processes they went through.

Part of it is the name, the other part of it is the knowns with Colt vs the unknowns with Eagle Arms (which is now Armalite). Everybody knows the materials and QC Colt uses/does, but I couldn't tell you what Eagle Arms' bolt and barrel are made of or what QC processes they went through.

^^^ that pretty much sums it up. 

I spoke to my next door neighbor recently about guns and he mentioned that he'd pick up a Colt vs any other brand of AR rifle just because "they make the best ones". Most of the average shooters just gravitate to the name brands out there. Remington, Colt, Armalite, S&W, maybe DPMS... few consider Spike's, CMMG, etc, and very much less the boutique brands like POF, LaRue & KAC. The average shooter balks at spending $2+k on an AR (even if they have the disposable funds), and most are not aware of the differences.