• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st AR Build, still have some questions

dgtaurus

Hey everyone Im new to the forum and relatively new to the AR world. I've built a few AK's but I really needed a break from my norm. So I decided my first AR build will be a MEGA Maten DPMS 308 build. I just ordered my receiver set and im buying the rest of my parts and tools now. Ive decided to go Rainer Arms select barrel and DPMS BCG. My rail will be a TROY TRX or ALPHA rail. My main questions come from what tools I will need. I know I will need a castle nut wrench. I also know I need a way to tighten the barrel nut and hold the receiver. Ive decided its probably a good idea to use barrel torque extension tool, like this. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx?ctl00$ucheaderSearch$btnSubmitSearch=Search

I was originally planning on using the DPMS style upper vise but ive heard that people have cracked their receivers using them. So I guess my questions come down to what tools do I need? Is there anything that anyone recommends to use with the parts that im using? Ive spent a ridiculous amount of time looking into different tools but im still a little confused as to what tools I should get. Ive got lots of hand tools but I dont have any AR specific tools. With the TROY 308 rails can I just use a regular AR 15 barrel nut wrench? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could probably use that barrel extension to install the muzzle device. But you may want a barrel vise block to do that.

Any handguard that has a custom barrel nut will include the wrench. If it's a standard barrel nut you may need to get your own barrel nut wrench.

Torque wrench and vise obviously.

A good set of gunsmith punches is pretty helpful.

A magazine well vise block is also helpful.

The KAC Barrel Extension Wrench is the best option IMO. I have one and have used it a bunch. Much cheaper than the Geissele too.

Yeah I saw the KAC one but the brownells one is actually cheaper than both of them. To be honest I have no idea which way to go now lol. It will either be the brownells rod or the DPMS vise. I keep hearing horror stories of people screwing up their brand new expensive receiver and I do not want to be one of them. Mega makes good stuff and im confident in my abilities but poop happens and I want to make the right decision. I also over analyze so here I am lol.

If you are talking about the DPMS upper receiver vice block , seems to me you would have to use a lot more torque then spec's for barrel nut attachment to damage an upper receiver  or there could be a problem with the metallurgy of the upper receiver. I can't count how many times I have used the block for mounting a barrel on both forged & Billet upper receivers.

Is this what is creating all the horror stories ?

post-11255-0-95385100-1399896616_thumb.j

What Survival said.....the "claw" is perfect for me......built many a 308's with it....dont believe everything you read......the claw will not hurt my Mega's or yours.. you need a punch tool kit and a good barrel-wrench ....and a torque wrench ! :) Wash

Yeah I saw the KAC one but the brownells one is actually cheaper than both of them. To be honest I have no idea which way to go now lol. It will either be the brownells rod or the DPMS vise. I keep hearing horror stories of people screwing up their brand new expensive receiver and I do not want to be one of them. Mega makes good stuff and im confident in my abilities but poop happens and I want to make the right decision. I also over analyze so here I am lol.

The Brownell's one is cheaper, but it's much more difficult to use. The Geissele and KAC wrenches mount the barrel extension wrench in the vise (allowing for both horizontal and vertical positions) while the Brownell's one requires that you mount the barrel nut wrench in the vise and forces you to only use the vertical orientation. You're also going to run into compatibility issues with the Brownell's wrench since many of the proprietary barrel nut wrenches were designed to go onto the torque wrench and don't have enough material to be mounted in a vise.

The upper receiver blocks that cause all the horror stories are the ones that support the upper receiver by the pins. Not good.

Edited by FaRKle!

Thanks for the welcome and responses guys. I wasn't aware that the KAC and Geissele devices could be put straight into the vise, that makes them worth the extra money. So my list of tools so far is a AR15 combo wrench for the castle nut and barrel nut, torque wrench (click type), roll pin punches/nylon punch (I already have regular punches), Lower vise block and I think Im going to go with the claw. I think if I take it slow and make sure I do it right ill be ok. I wonder what caused the people to crack their receivers? Maybe torquing to hard on the nut or receivers that were cheap? I think ill eventually get both tools but for right now im going the cheaper route. I ordered my receivers last week and this week im going to be ordering a 18" rainier arms select barrel, DPMS BCG, and a LPK so im going to be broke for a while.

Edited by dgtaurus

DG the claw will not harm your upper.....most of the time my barrel times up at 60lbs....no worries

go for the claw.....I even use it for the brake....no problems.....the vendors are always looking to sell a better mousetrap is all .....for you to spend money on..... :) Wash