• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Single vs. 2 Stage

D.R.D.

If I'm running the sling like I should, my forward hand will always be under the fore end, open.  Think "taco" and not "burrito."  You don't want it wrapped tight onto the fore end.  Just enough grip with my firing hand to hold onto the rifle.

I'll even sling up if using a bipod, for the extra tension on the rifle - it's good stability.

Other times, I'll rest the rifle on a rifle rest or bipod, and run my forward (non-firing) hand on the back bottom side of the buttstock.  The front of the rifle is on the rest, or the bipod, and I'll control minor movements on sighting/elevation changes with my left hand on the back bottom of that buttstock. 

Here's a picture of "taco, not burrito."

700AAC-SD10Jun12.jpg

I'll see if I can find a video of the "holding the buttstock" method.  I know there's one out there.

Here we go:

Edited by 98Z5V

^^^  Yep, and if you notice, right before I took that shot, instead of my non-firing hand holding or bracing the bottom of the buttstock, I switched to a balled fist under the bottom of the buttstock - exact same principle and use as the squeeze bag.  Tighten up the fist, raises the buttstock, lowers the sights.  Relax the fist, lowers the buttstock, raises the sights.  I got the height right for the shot, and did it.

That was the first time I'd ever shouldered/shot Greg's LaRue rifle, and he has a PRS with Accu-Shot monopod on it - I had to take a minute to get used to the setup, before shooting it.

That thing shoots like a dream...  <thumbsup>

Another somewhat related question:

The moment before you are ready to send a round down range, after watching your breath and heart rate in the reticle, do you focus on the target or on the point in the reticle you're aiming at? 

It seems that for example, on 14x power, at 100 yards, I've got a good close up of the target area.  The reticle isn't too thick and the target is large enough to see.  However, I cannot completely focus on one or the other.  Is this an optics issue, my eyes, what?

DRD

, on 14x power, at 100 yards,

WAAAAAAY too much magnification for that distance.  You're screwing yourself that way.

You're relying too much on equipment, it seems like.  Learn how to shoot first.

Shoot iron sights at 100 yards, and see how small you can get your groups.  $hit, start with irons at 25 yards.

Become a good fundamental shooter first, and add capabilities and equipment over time. 

Edited by 98Z5V

98Z5V,

I hear ya - already did that though, and got nice small groups.  Cold bore at 100 was 4" right of center (there was a cross wind) and the second and third shot were dead center bullseyes after hold-over and then dialing in.  I'm just working on how well I feel with the rig before i take it out further.  

DRD.  

Edited by D.R.D.

It seems that for example, on 14x power, at 100 yards, I've got a good close up of the target area.  The reticle isn't too thick and the target is large enough to see.  However, I cannot completely focus on one or the other.  Is this an optics issue, my eyes, what?

DRD 

A D J U S T
ABLE OBJECTIVE LENS
This feature (if present on your scope) permits precise focusing, while simultaneously
readjusting the parallax-free distance, for any range from 50 yards to infinity. To
change range focus, turn the Objective Adjustment Ring and align the number with
the distance index dot. An alternative method is to look through the scope and turn
the Objective Adjustment Ring until the target, at whatever range, is sharply focused

Same if you have a dial on the side of the scope for doing it .

EYEPIECE FOCUSING
The eyepiece is designed to provide a precise fast focus. The eyepiece will focus
faster than your eye can compensate for any inaccuracy in your adjustment.
Look at a distant object for several seconds without using your scope. Then, shift
your vision quickly, looking through the scope at a plain background. Turn the fast-
focus eyepiece clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust to your eyes. The reticle  
pattern should be sharp and clear before your eye can refocus. After you have made
your adjustment, with a quick glance re-check the image.

Edited by survivalshop