• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loaded DPMS question...

·  Magpul PRS stock

·  DPMS Buffer tube                                                                                                                 

·  Slashs Heavy Buffer & Spring                                                                                             

Not sure what you meant exactly by "DPMS buffer tube," but the PRS stock requires an AR-10/M16A2 rifle length/fixed stock receiver extension (such as this) and isn't compatible with an adjustable stock receiver extension.

Since you're required to use the rifle receiver extension you'll need an AR-10 action spring, and AR-10 rifle buffer. Once again, skip the heavy buffer (but if you absolutely insist on it for bragging rights, this is the one you'd use).

Yes, I meant receiver extension.  Which is the appropriate one for use with the PRS stock?  You linked one for 5.56/.223 - is it the same for .308?

So, if I read you correctly, you're saying that if you use an adjustable gas block, then the AR10 spring and buffer will do.  If you use a fixed gas block, then the heavy buffers may be helpful in reducing recoil.  Do I have that right?

Ok shibiwan and farkle, now you're really confusing me :-)

Which is it?

A1 rifle receiver extension = A2 rifle receiver extension = AR-10 rifle receiver extension. They're all the same!

So, if I read you correctly, you're saying that if you use an adjustable gas block, then the AR10 spring and buffer will do. If you use a fixed gas block, then the heavy buffers may be helpful in reducing recoil. Do I have that right?

Money

I'm in this one late, but there some info that everyone can use:

Rifle receiver extensions are all the same between all platforms (AR-15, .308AR, A1, A2).  Extra parts convert the A1 config to the A2 config.  MagPul PRS stocks use the A1 extension.

Rifle buffers are not the same for AR-15 and .308 ARs. There's a difference in buffer length.  .308 AR rifle buffers are shorter, due to the carriers being longer.

Carbine Receiver Extensions come in two lengths.  AR-15 stuff has a 7" internal depth, while Armalite AR-10 (.308) are 7 5/8" internal depth.  The VLTOR A5 recoil system uses a carbine receiver extension that matches the Armalite .308 length.

AR-15 Carbine Receiver Extensions come in two diameters: 1.14" for mil-spec size, and 1.17" for commercial size.  What collapsible buttstock you run must match your AR-15 carbine receiver extension.

Carbine buffers are not the same for AR-15 and .308 ARs.  The .308s use a shorter buffer to make up for the longer BCG length of the .308, and still fit that stuff into a buffer that's 7" internal depth.

^^^Well, now, except for Armalite.  Their .308 Carbine Receiver extensions are longer, so they can use regular old AR-15 carbine (heavy) buffers in them.  They use AR-15 H3-weighted buffers in them.

There is the difference. Run any old AR-15 carbine receiver extension on your .308, but make sure you're using the shorter .308 AR buffer.  Unless you run an Armalite (or the same-size VLTOR A5) receiver extension - then you run AR-15 carbine buffers in your .308 AR, but make sure they're H3 weighted, at a minimum. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Just when I though it was all clear as mud....

98Z5V,

Will this work in the 308 and reduce recoil?

VLTOR 6 Position Carbine Buffer Tube, H3 Buffer, & AR10 Spring  

DRD

Depends which 6 position buffer tube you're talking about.

If it's the non-A5 one (part RE-1), then NO, it will not work, and will require LR308 pattern parts (short buffer, short spring). If it's the A5 6-position one (part RE-10/A5SR), then YES, it will work.

If you're going to use a stock that can fit on all 7 positions, I recommend the RE-A5 receiver extension.

Edited by FaRKle!

OMG...you could literally write dissertation on Buffers, tubes and Springs.  Maybe I'll just by a complete DPMS rifle  ;-)

Just start off with the receiver extension you want (rifle or Carbine ) & use the proper 308 spring & Buffer to start with & there should not be a problem .DPMS or AR 10 

I have std factory DPMS buffer & springs in my 308 AR's & have no problems . I also have the Superior Springs ( Tubb's ) 308 spring I am still testing & I can tell you , in my Carbine it makes a difference in recoil & where the brass lands , one nice pile next to the bench . I removed it when I rebuilt the Carbine with new DPMS complete lower & TM upper(  another story ) & am using the original Buffer spring & it works fine , the brass is not as concentrated as with the Tubb's spring .

I'm going to test the Tubb's spring in my 20", rifle stocked 308 AR & it has had DPMS std factory components in her from the very beginning of the its build & no problems. Both my barrels ( 16" & 20 " ) have rifle length gas systems .

As said , you can always change components out later to tweak or tune the action out later .

Edited by survivalshop

That info that SS linked is the info I got from Clint Butler, before he was a member here.  He IS HeavyBuffers.com. 

I cheated...  <lmao>

Looking up the proper information & relaying to those who need it, is not Cheating . Its a public service around here , You should pat yourself on the back or give yourself one of your Patented, pants down hugs . <thumbsup>

Edited by survivalshop

Way back to the original post, I have a DPMS RFLR-308, and the only change I had to make to improve the accuracy was to install a Geiselle SSA-E trigger.  With a mediocre, sub-$100 scope, I can shoot 0.75" groups @100.  I would not call an off-the-rack DPMS a gamble.