• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reloading for Greenhorns...

Matt.Cross

As far as I know, the Rockchucker has been the standard for a long, long time.  You cannot go wrong with that kit.  But, like others will tell you, you will have the Sinclair Catalog out in no time, ordering upgrades that you cannot afford!!!!  LOL!!!

All ya need is a bench to bolt it to & Dies , primers, powder , & bullets and your on your way.

Get several reloading manuals & read them if you have never done this before , But the kit looks like its all you need to start.

And you have "US " for any questions you have .

I offer up this kit for comparison as well. Pros/Cons of either kit and how you would personally weigh one kit against the other.

RCBS

and

Hornady

You can put a Lock-N-Load adapter in the RCBS press, and I recommend it, I have one in mine. However, if I was starting from scratch, I would pick the Hornady press. They way it's angled makes it easier to feed, if you don't mind feeding with your left hand, and operating the press with your right. Personally, I like to feed with my right, and operate the press with my left. I am right handed and I have a lot more coordination in my right hand than left. After all, pulling a press handle is a gross motor skill and you ought to be able to do it left handed pretty easily. If you are planning on loading a lot of ammo, as in thousands of rounds a year,  in few calibers, look at Dillon. More money to start with, but a much higher volume press.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That from what I heard is a good press. but have you thought of buying components separately? I bought a kit similar from Lee. I know Rock Chucker is better, but I found that I did not like using the balance scale and bought a digital one, not using the powder measurer because it broke, and bought a more expensive one. just a thought. If I had to do it over again I would have just bought the Rock chucker press then shopped around for the other components..

Hard to beat RCBS ..quality equipment at reasonable price...pay a few dollars more at the start so your not replacing with better equipment later...and believe me you will...Redding makes the nicest dies in my experience, cost bit more but worth it..if loading volume Dillon is the name...I don't have one but friends that do tell me everything else is second best in a progressive 

There is so much equipment available used, I would look at gunshows and online. You need to find an experienced reloader that can look the stuff over and tell you whether its any good or not. Plenty of us old farts around that would be happy to give advice. I wish I lived closer to you.

There is so much equipment available used, I would look at gunshows and online. You need to find an experienced reloader that can look the stuff over and tell you whether its any good or not. Plenty of us old farts around that would be happy to give advice. I wish I lived closer to you.

That's alright, good advice TAKEN is money SAVED, I'll take advice in lieu of a loan.  <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...

I have one myself . Very good press, I use mine as a single stage or progressive .

You have to under stand that it is a complex machine ,if you are not mechanically inclined ,but its easy to set up once you get used to it.

As I have said , the singe stage press is the basic in reloading & very good to learn on & lets you concentrate on each stage in the reloading process ,also the initial investment is low compared to any progressive press .

Not that you can't learn on a progressive ,but the single stage makes you concentrate on each process. I still use my single stage for a lot of things

LH1586.jpg

Being you still use it you probably dont want to sell it. I like the idea of having to work with each step. I am Xtreamly inclined in the mechanical department, so I dont see me having an issue with the machine. My problems are going to come in just the whole reloading department as I have never been around it. I can and do have a strong ability to learn so I will get it with few pointers and some reading.......I hope anyways.

I agree a single stage, measuring and monitoring every round is the best way too start.

I learned the hard way. Started off on a Hornady Progressive that had a serious design flaw they have since corrected. Anyhow because there was much to learn about the process and the machine I missed an intermittent problem with the powder dropping and powder system. Made quite a few bad rounds initially.

Those are good points. I will be setting it up out in my building. I am fixin to run power out there and insulate and drop in a window unit for the hot days. I would also be using only spent brassfrom my rifles and bought brass.

Anyone use these guys

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

They are 20 minutes from me.

Sorry Matt I am not rying to steal your thread.

How much powder does it take to load 1000rds of 308 win? I am trying to figure a price on loading a 1000rds Vs buying a 1000. I know inital cost is going to take effect so I am looking at a price on a second load on the brass. Also where do you guys shop for your suppies?

I agree ,no distractions ,but knowledge is the key also .

You need to read up & most reloading manuals have basic reloading procedures in them & what to look for with things like case problems .

Experience is what will get you into the enjoyment of rolling your own .

As far as how much of what & cost . I don't even think about it any more. The start up cost is going to factor in there as you said ,but also time(labor ) will be much more .

Loading bottle neck rifle cartridges is a time consuming process to get max. potential out of them to match commercial ammo.

I know I can make ammo that will out perform any commercial ammo I can buy ,but it takes a lot to get there.

Once you find the sweet spot ,its a breeze to duplicate it , as long as you remain consistant in your reloading practices.

I'm not trying to discourage any one ,because the rewards of making good ammo are many . It may take me a doz. test loads & range trips to get it right .

The powder ,bullet ,primer & case combos are many .One load or case might like a bench rest primer or a std one or the powder might perfer one or the other .

I have set up my reloads to function & also shoot well from different rifles of the same cal. ,although one loading may be made just for the one particular rifle chamber & bbl. combo . That's why I have detailed notes & a reloading  record book.

One thing that has opened my eye's on reloading is a Chronograph , I have been reloading for over thirty years & have never had one ,but what a perfect tool for the reloader . I don't know how I got along for so long with out one .

Make no mistake reloading is every bit the obsession as the weapons themselves. One day you look around and you have a pile of raw materials, presses dedicated to calibers like 45acp and 5.56. Theres always a tool to make the job easier, a second tumbler, better dies, better powder measures, more accurate scales...

Visit Sinclair and Dillon.

I will say as my reloading adventure matured for the most part I ended up with Redding Dies and Dillon dies and Redding powder measures across the board.

That was a long time ago though so I cant speak for the current parts from Lyman,RCBS and Hornady

Anyhow I would enjoy hearing what you guys end up getting now and over time. Maybe we can turn it into a reloading newbie article

Dont forget to check out the Manuals. Lyman is a must and Hornady was my go to for loads mostly. I also had those one caliber books but they leave out the process details of the full blown manuals.

Lastly dont use crappy measuring tools