• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any experience with the lightweight hunter

Shoot, I love that trigger but after being on this forum for a while now, and listening to everyone talk about Geiselle,  GEISSELE...  I just picked up a DMR. Still fine tuning it, I put the other trigger on my ar15

Fixed that for ya. 

Hey thanks for the input , I was deciding between gen1 hunter and gen1 recon. I actually have the lightweight hunter at my ffl but buds described the rifle having a skeletonized stock ( which I didn't care about) and compensator ( which is what I really wanted). Well it showed up with neither and all buds would do for me was say they messed up and I could return to them for something else. Wouldn't even throw in a pmag or discount the rifle any more whatsoever ever. That got me to really question wether I wanted that one since adding a compensator would be pricy but I keep coming back to that one. I didn't really want another 13lb 308 rifle as my bolt gun fill that role and didn't really need another tactical gun either. So I guess the lightweight hunter fits the bill even though buds hasn't really done the right thing on this purchase.

Yes ordered the rifle and came like that , yes the stock is no biggie, I'm actually happier with the standard a2 stock that isn't skeletonized. I'm bent that it didn't come with a compensator like advertised.

Look on the bright side. You have literally hours of shopping pleasure ahead of you, searching for the compensator you like the most. By the time you have five of them, you'll be able to settle on your favorite.

If you want to go for the most recoil reduction possible from a compensator, I'd say it's the JP Recoil Eliminator. Bear in mind, it violates the 1" x 3" rule and therefore is not approved for nearly all competitions. All other compensators stand in its shadow, for that purpose, from what I've seen and experienced.

Make sure you use hearing protection. A .308 is wicked enough, with a compensator the concussion is way more wicked.

Ha that's funny, the guy at my ffl showed me I think an AAC shorty comp that he said work well for the size , the only issue is I still have to have the barrel threaded. Between the threading and compensator I could really have just built a custom gun the way I wanted , that's why the I left it at the ffl for like two weeks , trying to decide what I wanted to do.

The thing is , you ordered a different rifle then came in. (That's not the rifle I ordered , send it back ! ) That is of course you have paper to back you up or your FFL knew that's not what you ordered  & said so .

Another way of looking at it is ,You would probably change that stuff down the line , any way . <dontknow>

The one in the description is not in production anymore , I guess 2012 they reconfigured it and it lost the compensator and the skeletonized stock. Buds hasn't changed their description and says it's unavailable in the old version as listed in the description , so I guess it doesn't really matter, it's close enough to what I want. Just upset since they know they messed up and unwilling to compensate for their error.

DUDE! These things are the Mustang's/Camaro's of the rifle world. You can damn near do anything that you want to with them. Factory parts....aftermarket parts are all around you. A compensator is one of the easiest things to swap out to change your muzzle device. They screw on....and screw off.

As long as your barrel is threaded that is. If not.....................................................sorry.

Where's my beer?

Edited by Rsquared

Not a threaded barrel on the hunter model. one of the only reason I was contemplating the recon but at a full pound heavier even with a 16" barrel. I think I'll skip it , not really wanting the tactical look. I'm just worried that the lightweight 20" will barrel whip like a noodle. I think it'll be fine for hunting and some bench shooting / plinking.

Not a threaded barrel on the hunter model. one of the only reason I was contemplating the recon but at a full pound heavier even with a 16" barrel. I think I'll skip it , not really wanting the tactical look. I'm just worried that the lightweight 20" will barrel whip like a noodle. I think it'll be fine for hunting and some bench shooting / plinking.

What year is the model you are looking at ? If I remember they changed to a 20" barrel in 2012. Mine has an 18" barrel and came with a miculek brake on it. 

I believe it was also offered in the 20" with a miculek compensator and that was the description they had for it in the buds description. Yes in 2012 they did reconfigure it as stated on the dpms website but I had hoped to get some new old stock. I thought that configuration was perfect, but the 18 would have been better but is never advertised anywhere.

So they ordered a rifle & didn't check on the model year changes or that the rifle they ordered was the same as their old data on it read & just ordered it ! They own this , you told them what you wanted & what it looked like & what configuration you wanted & they gave or ordered you something different . 

If you ordered a mustang & they got in a F150 , would that be OK ? Its still a Ford product , just not what you ordered . I 'm sorry , but this is unacceptable to me & I was a 20 yr. FFL dealer & if something I ordered for a customer came in wrong , it would go back or I would make it up in some way to the customer's satisfaction, even if it was on my dime , just the way I conducted business & you should not expect less .

Its the dealers responsibility to keep informed or check on model changes , If not, they are just gun pushers & not a firearms dealer . Like I said , they own this mistake & its up to you to decide what you want , of course if you are now in possession of said rife , its yours now .

OK I'm off the soap box ! <dontknow>

It's not the ffl's fault , they are just the delivery destination. I ordered directly through buds guns and off their web site the description was different from what is now available and haven't corrected their website even after bringing this to their attention. It does eat at me that they are relatively Indifferent about it and just say their prices are so low already they have no room to make anymore adjustments and they will be happy to refund it for a full return.