• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

300 AAC Blackout

Jgun

I've got a friend thats building an AR 15 in the new 300 AAC Blackout cal. (7.62 x 35). He's telling me that this is going to be the new big cartridge. Apparently it shoots a .308 bullet from an AR 15 platform, and the great thing about it is that,unlike the 6.8 SPC, it uses a unmodified AR-15 BCG and unmodified 5.56 AR mags. THe only proprietary part is the barrel. You can even use necked up .223 brass to load for it. Now, it's not intended to compete with 7.62 x 51 ,it's more like a better option  to a 7.62 x 39 in an AR platform. I'm going to have to watch this one.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to my friend there's a lot of industry support behind this one and  there's already factory ammo and complete AR's being offered in it. He tells me that it's the new Hot thing. Of course that means nothing if it doesn't get picked up by the military or at least become popular with the civilian market. I guess time will tell. The best part for me is that he's already ordered all the components along with dies, bullets, and powder for load development, so I get to let him do all the work and then I get to try it out and decide for myself if I like it. It certainly sounds like an inexpensive way to get to try a new cartridge. If your already shooting AR .223 and AR .308 all you need to buy is the barrel and suitable powder. If you don't like it, sell the barrel/powder and use everything else for you AR-15 and AR-308 guns.

I'm also building one using a Multical, POF lower . Just have not picked a barrel out yet , the rest is just AR15/16 stuff.

This cartridge will probably be used by special ops. I don't see it being a NATO front line cambering ,but this is the first wild cat cartridge for the AR that I have seen ,that makes sense.

I also will,be reloading for it & can't wait to make up load for it .I like the lighter weight 308 bullets for it .

I have been watching this develop for a few months now.

I'm attracted by a 30 caliber bullet that I can fire from my existing platforms and use my vast collection of Pmags with.

The deciding factor for me will be availability and cost of factory ammo!!?? <munch>

If he can make 320 power factor I'll be shooting my MA TEN carbine against him in the matches. I know in the real world this round won't do what a .308 NATO rd can  , but it should be interesting to see how he does with an AR-15 platform against the bigger, heavier guns,  (meaning me)

If it won't duplicate at least 7.62x39 ballistics it won't go far. If you were a spec ops guy planning a mission, would you use an odd-ball cartridge that screams I AM AN AMERICAN every place you leave an empty, or shoot an AK round that you can resupply from any dead terr. I like the idea, for an upgrade to the 556, and wonder why it took so long to figure out. Lets see, which would be the better new cartridge, an obsolete case head diameter with a never before used bullet diameter that requires a new bolt and magazines, or neck up the existing cartridge to the most common military caliber requiring nothing but a barrel change? Duh!

Another one .

SI Defense 16" 300 AAC Blackout Barrel 

Our Price: $195.00   

Great barrel for silencers! Make your AR-15 quiet! Drop-in ready for your standard .223/5.56 upper receiver. Carbine-length gas port location. Includes installed and pinned barrel extension., .750 diameter under the gas block, a 1/8 twist chambered in .300 AAC Blackout, threaded 5/8 inch-24 muzzle for flash suppressor/silencer/compensator. Managanese phosphate coated per mil-spec. Weighs 1 lb 12.4 oz. 16" barrel length, not including barrel extension.

Options: Barrel coated with graphite black Cerakote, add $125

416 Stainless steel barrel, add $75. 

I spoke to a small (I think) company today that has been involved with the 300AAC for a while and the guy I spoke to told me that he had reports from some of his competition shooting customers that they were making major power factor shooting 155 gr bullets from 18" barrels. He told me that he would try to get load and performance data for me, and even said he'd try to do some testing himself using an 18" barrel. If I get any useful information from him I'll pass it along.

I'll be looking forward to that info.

When I first started looking at barrel for the 300blk, I read most of them are 1-8 twist & kinda wondered why .

I would think they would be the same twists as a 30 cal . barrel . This is what they emailed me back;

Mike,

Anything slower tends to not stabilize 220gr and heavier subsonic rounds as well. Not only 1:8 stabilize longer bullets such as the 220 and even 240's it still has great accuracy all the way down to the 110gr bullets.

We tested up to 1:12". 1:10" did great with all of the light and midweight bullets, but just wouldn't stabilize the longer, heavier bullets. Also, Accuracy was quite good (sub MOA) with 125gr, even some 110gr bullets in the 1:8" barrels that it made it a good all around choice for the blackout.

If I were never going to shoot anything heavier than 150gr, I would probably go with a 1:9 or 1:10", but I like the versatility, and the 1:8" shoot better than I do so it works out well.

I ordered a 16" light weight from Wilson  on Friday . I have a POF billet Lower to use. Its marked ,Multical , so that works .

Now what upper to match the POF . Should I go Billet ? I'm going to try to keep the upper manufacturer from here in Florida.

I have a lot of choices & help the economy here in my state . No offence to any other state.

300aacblackout-tl-16-001.jpg

Good looking barrel. What twist is it, 1/8 ? I'm thinking about calling the guy I've been corrisponding with about the AAC, and maybe ordering an 18" 300 AAC barrel. The only thing I'm not sure of is the blank. He uses Montana Rifleman cut rifled blanks. I looked at their web site but have never heard of them before. Anyone familiar with this barrel manufacturer?

Good looking barrel. What twist is it, 1/8 ? I'm thinking about calling the guy I've been corrisponding with about the AAC, and maybe ordering an 18" 300 AAC barrel. The only thing I'm not sure of is the blank. He uses Montana Rifleman cut rifled blanks. I looked at their web site but have never heard of them before. Anyone familiar with this barrel manufacturer?

Yep , 1-8 .

I have not heard of that barrel manufacturer, but that doesn't mean much , there are are a lot of good manufacturers out there that don't make it to the gun magazines or forums.

Spoke to the barrel maker tonight. He's advising me to go with a 1-10 twist barrel. He tells me that if I'm loading to try to make 320 power factor, I can do it more safely with the 1-10 twist vs the 1-8 twist because it creates less pressure. He tells me the only downside is that the 1-10 twist won't stabilize subsonic ammo with a suppressor. Since I won't ever be using a suppressor on this barrel, that;s not a problem for me. Any thoughts or opinions on the 1-10 vs the 1-8 (or 1-9) twist?

Specific twist rate for a specific purpose built rifle . I see nothing wrong with that , at all .

I think we have just scraped the tip of the iceburg as far as what this new cartridge will do & with what .

Most of the loading is based off of the 300 fireball from what I've heard or at least the case spec's .

There will be more loadings with this cartridge in the near future . Just look at to .30 cal bullet selection out there .

I think you will see a lot more coming out of this cartridge & I can't wait to test some loads with different configurations out of my build .

I too don't intend to put a suppressor on , but you never know .

I asked my friend that built the 300 upper, about the ideal barrel twist and he also said as you, that the 1-8 may possibly  be more versitile, particularly if you intend to run a can, as he does, but it won't do what I want. I also spoke to the barrel mfg and he told me that the 1-10 would work with bullets up to 208 gr. and that if I was dissatisfied with the performance of the 1-10 he's exchange it for a different twist. With that kind of offer I had no choice but to order one. So I should have an 18" 300 AAC Blackout barrel in a couple of weeks. It will most likely be a while before I'm ready to load for it, but if I can get my hands on some factory 300 AAC ammo I may actually get to try out the 300 before I get to try my .308's

My barrel shipped & all I need is to chose an upper . Still deciding on that one .

I think it might be easier to buy the brass & dies right now than the ammo.

Some thing I won't worry about till I order the hand guard (Vtac mid length)

Can't wait to start load development . We can compare data & target groups.

I look forward to comparing notes with you,once we both have completed uppers (and the weather up here has improved enough to make outdoor shooting enjoyable) I hesitate to suggest an upper because you say you want to use one mfg'd in FL, but I really like the Vltor MUR, and the Rainier billit is supposed to be very good as well, but neither are made in your state. I'm presently trying to pick a comp for my build. I don't see much out there specifically intended for the 300 AAC cartridge, and I don't really think a comp designed for the .308 NATO cartridge is going to be a good choice for my application.