• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

OOOPS the Hiperfire doesnt work in a DPMS 308

washguy

So my brothers ive been pimpin Hiperfire triggers against all comers this summer....BUT I had the hiperfire24c in ar15 platform ...great trigger.....so Friday im gonna go shoot....hmmmmm lets put the hiperfire in one of my 308's.....take out the 24c from the 6.8 and switch it to the 308 which has the ss-e...

put the 24c in and do a function check with the upper not on...well the selector works...but it goes past fire to about the 4'oclock position...well that aint right...take the sucker out and put it back in...same thing 4"oclock.....disconnector does its thing... WTF? seems like the tail isnt long enough to catch the selector or sumsuch.....crap..new one on me

go to the range take out the 308 and charge the bad boy...pointed down range made sure the safety really did work....pulled the trigger knowing in the back of my mind that something could happen cause of the way  the thing installed....pulled it heard the hammer fall...well that aint good....kept the thing shouldered pointed down range and let off.....BOOM !  That suks and put that rifle back in the case.

got home in time to call hiperfire...I believe it was the owner that picked up....told him the problem and he then said the hiperfire may or may not work in DPMS 308 lowers....and the selector problem shouldnt have anything to do with his trigger?  He was super nice on the phone and his trigger is great.....in a ar15 that is!

swapped everything back today and all is well with the selectors in both rifles..... :)   Wash

Okay Tom.... im ready for the "bitchslap"   <laughs>  

So my brothers ive been pimpin Hiperfire triggers against all comers this summer....BUT I had the hiperfire24c in ar15 platform ...great trigger.....so Friday im gonna go shoot....hmmmmm lets put the hiperfire in one of my 308's.....take out the 24c from the 6.8 and switch it to the 308 which has the ss-e...

put the 24c in and do a function check with the upper not on...well the selector works...but it goes past fire to about the 4'oclock position...well that aint right...take the sucker out and put it back in...same thing 4"oclock.....disconnector does its thing... WTF? seems like the tail isnt long enough to catch the selector or sumsuch.....crap..new one on me

go to the range take out the 308 and charge the bad boy...pointed down range made sure the safety really did work....pulled the trigger knowing in the back of my mind that something could happen cause of the way  the thing installed....pulled it heard the hammer fall...well that aint good....kept the thing shouldered pointed down range and let off.....BOOM !  That suks and put that rifle back in the case.

got home in time to call hiperfire...I believe it was the owner that picked up....told him the problem and he then said the hiperfire may or may not work in DPMS 308 lowers....and the selector problem shouldnt have anything to do with his trigger?  He was super nice on the phone and his trigger is great.....in a ar15 that is!

swapped everything back today and all is well with the selectors in both rifles..... :)   Wash

Okay Tom.... im ready for the "bitchslap"   <laughs>  

Geissele, all day long!@#$...    <lmao>

I don't understand, here - Geissele triggers work on both AR-15 and .308 AR...  <dontknow> :banana:   :yup: :hail: <laughs>

Edited by 98Z5V

Despite the set back, I'm still feeling the Hiperfire would be real nice for a rifle intended for a lot of steel cased mil-surp ammo. I'm just finishing up another 7.62x39, and I'm thinking that little extra hammer power might be real handy with some of the more pesky primers. 

Yep, had some ooooooold milsurp 7.62x51 that I couldn't get to reliably fire.  Hiperfire 24 fixed that problem in no time flat.

Additionally, no issues with fire/safe on my DPMS lower.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke in the barrel on my 308ar using PMC 147gr. 100+ rounds with the stock DPMS trigger group, was a long 6-7 lb pull.

Shot a bit yesterday with a Hiperfire 24 3G. DPMS lower and have light springs installed (2-2.5 lbs.)

The Hiperfire is nice short pull, crisp, light. No problems with fire/safe or functionality.

I ran a couple of boxes of PMC with no problems...tweaking my zero a bit.

I then switched to Hornady American Whitetail 150 Gr. Soft Point.
Twice I had primer strike that didn't fire.

First shot out of mag, goes bang fine, second shot just a click.

I drop the mag, clear the chamber and inspect. Yup, primer strike visible. Put the same cartridge back in mag, fired fine as did next 3 rounds (originally loaded 5 in mag).

I check my target, then load mag with 5 more rounds.

Same thing...first one fires, second one click.

Clear, see primer strike mark, reload, fires fine.

What the heck? Didn't have the other parts with me...so will have to switch springs and try again.

Was your bolt hard to get open on the second shot? Check to see after the first shot if your bolt is completely closed and forward

No. I looked at it after the click, and it looked fully closed. It has forward assist, so i gave it a couple thumps, but bolt didn't appear to move.

I dropped mag and pulled charging handle back and it opened and extracted without any trouble like I would expect.

Before I change the springs, I'll go through more rounds and check bolt after first shot. Do you think that the gas/recoil of bolt is not carrying enough power to fully close?

I have a JP Silent Capture spring in it.

Harley    I had the hiperfire in both the 223 and 6.8 with the lightest springs (silver color)  in the 223 shot milsurp with no hiccups...in the 6.8 no problems

with those added springs the hiperfire has in it you shouldnt have a problem...thats what hiperfire touts...added springs no light primer strikes.

I would call them if it were me. the problem i had was when I switched to the dpms 308 ar platform....selector and hammer/disconnector problems...called them and they said some dpms lowers may not work and some dpms lowers will work...mine is a true dpms lower that fails to work...put the hiperfire back in a 6.8...no problemo

:)  Wash

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had any range time yet, but took it hunting anyways.

I opened it up and checked to make sure trigger reset looked like it was working o.k.

Looked fine to me.

After I shot, I checked the bolt position...it looked fully closed.

I banged the forward assist just to be sure, second shot fine.

My guess is that the JP Silent Capture spring is just on the edge of working/not working with the spring that is installed. They have a kit with 3 other springs so I can tailor the spring rate to the gun.

I'm sure it has to do with mass of bolt/carrier, how hot the load is, lube/friction, how many rounds in mag (how hard to strip new round off?).

I may even find out that it was just a little break in that was needed.

I don't think this has anything to do with the Hiperfire trigger, so if I have more info I will make new post. I think it is spring rate in JP Silent Capture.

By the way, I love the short, crisp, light pull of the 24 3G.

Edited by harley96cube