• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SI-Defense Ambi Lower (new)

FaRKle!

While browsing SI-Defense's site after D.R.D. linked their new 16" rifle-gassed barrel I stumbled upon a new billet .308 AR receiver set they're making. The interesting thing though, is that all the controls on the lower are mirrored! True ambi bolt hold open capability for a change! I'm not sure how I feel about the itty-bitty integrated/proprietary mag release button though (not to mention you can't make it CA-compliant).

308_ambi_set-2-600x600.jpg

308_ambi_set-3-600x600.jpg

Edited by FaRKle!

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd give everyone a nice update. I just got my hands on 2 of these matched sets in 308. To answer any questions...THIS IS CALIFORNIA LEGAL. The triangle piece you see comes out and they have a CA compliant one. They do not have a BB tool though. I have Phase 5 magnet tools for all my rifles. They are quite nice imo and they don't fall out. The tool works on these but it's loose. You do not need a separate bullet button....you get sent the setup G2G.... U can use a bullet. I am going to use the triangle piece seen here (their regular free state mag release) and machine it and press in a magnet for a nice tight fit for my "mag tool". Their new charging handle is F'n AWESOME! I have Raptors on all my builds....this one is BADASS! I like it a lot as the ears are bigger to allow easier charging with a scope mounted. They aren't advertising the charging handle at all. You can see it on their Instagram and Facebook. Their new charging handles for the ambi sets ( 308 and 556) use an internal latch instead of grabbing the receiver on the outside. They do have external latch charging handles for both 556 and 308 as well. Again....I'm in love with the new charging handle. Imagine an even better Raptor! Yup! Although these are my opinions, but guaranteed you all would likely agree. They are using a different finish on the inside of the uppers/lowers....it's like a gloss or slick surface. It's extremely nice! The outside is like a satin rather than the rougher or "dry" feeling coating like the rest of my sets. Just thought I'd give a heads up. G2G for CALIFORNIA!

I spoke to Josh at SI for a bit about what's going on over there. Lots going on! I was curious as to why the Fock they didn't have any of this on their site, why they aren't marketing the crap out of all this stuff, why don't they even offer their charging handle on the site. Imo, their site is kinda weak. When I ordered my first sets a couple years ago, it was even worse if you could imagine. But, their products spoke for themselves. They have tons of pics on their Instagram of the new ambi sets, the new "Petra" 300wm AR, their handguard. A few years ago there was a deal in the works with NEMO Arms to sell, but the deal fell through (SI wanted to sell the aerospace side and weapons side, but NEMO ended up only wanting the weapons side). One of the sons ended up buying it I guess. So there has been a lot of stuff going on behind he sceens over there.

Josh informed me about all the stuff being released soon. Even a 338 ar. They are in the process of finishing up photo shoots of the new product I guess. The biggest change is the RE-BRANDING. They are not changing owners, just wanting to separate the aerospace side and the weapons side. The new name is "Falkor Defense" my charging handles say the new name with logo. The matched sets say the SI defense like all the Instagram pics. I'm kinda bummed about the name change, but whatever. I'm glad mine say the original name. Long post I know....but looks like there's gonna be lots of cool stuff coming out from them!

Just thought I'd give everyone a nice update. I just got my hands on 2 of these matched sets in 308. To answer any questions...THIS IS CALIFORNIA LEGAL. The triangle piece you see comes out and they have a CA compliant one.

Their new charging handle is F'n AWESOME! I have Raptors on all my builds....this one is BADASS!

Excellent info! Dude we need pics!